CAN tests

18 Dec 2011

Hi everyone, I'm a beginner in electronics and I bought two MBED LCP1768. I'm trying to test if each one works well with CAN. Therefore I made a simple assembly with an MCP2551 and a CAN generator. TX and RX are pins 29 and 30 of a mbed. /media/uploads/mbedcbi1/mcp2551.png

I tried with the "hello world" CAN program but I failed to see any reaction from the mbed! I don't know what I did wrong. Any assembly or program to make a bus can work would be cool.

18 Dec 2011

CAN connections must be made tothe appropriate CAN pins on the MBED not tx and rx on your drawing .

pins 29 & 30,

hope this helps

Ceri

18 Dec 2011

So if I understand you well you mean that this assembly is wrong with the hello world program?! I failed to find any drawing to do an assembly that works do you have one? Or should I simply modify this drawing?

18 Dec 2011

I had a quick search, in the forums and found

http://mbed.org/users/WiredHome/notebook/Smartboard-baseboard/

If I remember there is a circuit diagram, Which should be enough to get you going.

I must admit I have been desperate to try CAN on my MBED, Especially since I found my

Old CAN development board from microchip. Unfortunately, no software, and worst of all, It needs a printer port, What happened to that lovely PC interface ?

Ceri

18 Dec 2011

I'm quite sure that this base board would be miraculous but I think that it is too powerful for me. I mean that this base board works with ethernet CAN... I simply want to see some trames going on a CAN bus with a simple assembly. Like an hello world assembly to check if everything is cool with CAN ;).

18 Dec 2011

I only offerd it up to show the connections, Bread board is more than acceptable for most projects. I have had some quite complexed circuits using bread board.

Additionaly, you can get some very good & usefull breakout boards, I think there is even a thread on breakout boards (BOB) !

If you are in UK, then cool components.co.UK Are very good. But if you are in US, sparkfun.com Have a stupid amount of things to spend all your pocket money on :)

Although I have not purchased from sparkfun.

There are quite a few other UK suppliers

Enjoy

Ceri

18 Dec 2011
30 Jan 2012

Hi confucius carpentier,

As you see from Sukkin Pang, you can get started with CAN quite simply on a proto board. If your needs are for something a bit more rugged, the Smartboard Baseboard I designed lets you create such a solution.

Yes, that board supports Ethernet, USB, an SD card, and more, but you do not need to buy or install the parts you will not use, so you might only need the mbed connector, the CAN related parts, the screw terminal connectors, and the power supply.

If you are early in your experimenting, then a small breakout board is probably the better way to go.