Prototype to Hardware Freescale KL25Z chip

06 May 2013

I have started fresh topic for this rather than add to the LPC1768 solution as this is different and and far simpler to do.

I started by braking the track under the J11 connector on the FRDM-KL25Z board to isolate the on-board KL25Z chip and soldered wires to the SWD connector J6 then connected these to my external chip as below.

/media/uploads/star297/_scaled_20130420_181343.jpg

Three connections are required, SWD_DIO (pin2), SWD_CLK (pin4) and RST (pin10). These are the programming connections and I also used the P3V3 (pin1) and GND (pins3 or 5) to power the chip durring programming. I used a 64-pin LQFP version of the KL25Z and connected the coresponding programming pins (PTA13 DIO), (PTA0 CLK) and (RESET_b RST).

I mounted (lashed up) the chip on a prototype board I had kicking around, added a 8Mhz Xtal with two 22pf capacitors and wired up all the VSS and VDD pins and fitted 0.1uf decoupling capacitors. I also added a reset switch and connectors for my displays and inputs. I looped the VOUT33 pin to the VDD pins of the chip and power the board with an unregulated 5V supply to VREGIN and the display.

/media/uploads/star297/_scaled_20130420_181423.jpg

I have also added a 32Khz oscillator chip (left of the picture) as I have yet to work out how to get the internal 32Khz clock signal out to be able to feed back into the RTC clock input (pin PTC1).

Simply compile and save to the FRDM board as normal and the code will be sent to the external chip.

Here is my MSF atomic clock working. The chip is very low power only 9mA and the display is 12mA but that depends on LED backlight brightness.

/media/uploads/star297/_scaled_20130420_193006.jpg

I have had this powered for several days with no problems dispite all the untidy wires around the board.

The cost to do this is minimal, the FRDM board in effect becomes a type of JTAG programmer and can be returned to normal operation by simply connecting J11 again.

The chip I used came from Farnell at a cost of £2.30, the display from China cost £2.80 the other parts came from a dead LCD television main pcb. The MSF receiver (low power version) came from PV electronics.

I have now placed this with additional information on the Cookbook:

http://mbed.org/cookbook/Prototype-To-Hardware-KL25Z

02 Mar 2015

{edit}nvm, thanks for the post!