Compiler warnings from mbed-os-example-blinky?

13 Oct 2017

I imported the mbed OS Blinky example into the mbed online compiler, and compiled it for the EmbeddedArtists LPC4088 QuickStart Board. Without having made any modifications, I get the compiler warnings pictured below.

...Really?

After all my headaches the last several days trying to get an mbed-based codebase to build in an offline IDE - compiler and linker errors (nevermind the warnings), broken exporters - and now this canonical, highly-publicized example won't even build without warnings - I am losing confidence in the mbed platform.

Is mbed failing to live up to its promise? Or am I somehow doing something fundamentally wrong?

Does anyone care to talk me off the metaphorical ledge [of abandoning mbed]? Or tell me I should jump? (Into what, with this board - LPCOpen?)

(EDIT: No doubt, some of the blame of my earlier troubles goes to Embedded Artists, for not maintaining their example code - perhaps against the moving target of mbed. But not all of the blame - maybe not even most.)

/media/uploads/bmcdonnell_ionx/2017-10-13__mbed-os_blinky_compile_warnings.png

13 Oct 2017

I've created an issue to track this - https://github.com/ARMmbed/mbed-os/issues/5318. The LWIP warnings look like simple fixes, but we will have to reach out to the vendor about the warnings in the target specific code. Thanks for bringing this to attention.

28 Aug 2018

Same problem still goes on with my FRDM-K64F. When I compile blinky example I get 323 warnings! What is the cause of these warnings, am I doing something wrong? Are they neglectible? Ways to avoid them? Or should I just quit working with mbed?

/media/uploads/Hymn/ekran_al-nt-s-.png

20 Aug 2018

And I could not edit my post sorry for the mistake I meant 323 warnings.

26 Jun 2019

And the saga continues. Blinky on STM32F401RE Nucleo board gives 90 warnings (AFTER updating the Mbed-os library, which would end in compiler failure right from the imported example) Some of them are variable format errors from the stats report functions. Like.. Seriously?!?! unsigned int to long warnings? lazy code.

26 Jun 2019

and a bunch of issues in the HAL, which is vendor specific and not necessarily Mbed's fault. But man... boilerplate examples from the import wizard should be bug free.