why does a new mbed setup seem hostile to custom boards?

30 May 2018

So I've been setting up mbed as it looks interesting.

But: 1. The installer is all "Plug in your mbed eval board to install the serial driver!".....which makes no sense if theres just a single vid/pid assigned to a standard mbed serial and it rejects you if you dont have one

2. The "online" tool harasses you to select an existing "platform" to even look at anything useful

3. Dear god, the download link for the windows cli is a link in a bulleted list, you actually have to read it to find it after clicking through 5 pages, its obscene.....just give me a stupid download link to the client up top next to Compiler. The online tool is 100% useless for custom boards.

But in my case I have to port to a chipset there is no eval board or support for which isn't really an issue besides my initial impression that mbed wants to be fisher-pricey and only work on some predefined boards.

02 Jun 2018

mbed is not interrested to help for custom targets, nor to make the process convenient. Porting targets is a pain (i have done many). Good luck

06 Jun 2018

Hi Marek,

Thanks for your feedback on getting started with Mbed. If you are still considering using Mbed please check the porting guide available here: https://os.mbed.com/docs/v5.8/reference/porting-targets.html

-Ralph, Team Mbed