BETA - mbed site

20 Feb 2013

The HDK page (https://mbed.org/handbook/mbed-HDK) contains 2 errors:

• At the top of the page, a space is missing (however, ‘thembed’ is also a neat name):

Quote:

The HDK specifies all support components and circuits including thembed USB Onboard Interface design that provides simple USB drag-n-drop programming and CMSIS-DAP debug interface for the target microcontroller.

• At the bottom of the page, the support@mbed.org link returns an Invalid page name instead of opening the mail program.
  • Remark: The fonts used on the webpages are definately a big improvement but may i suggest to enlarge the ‘Editing tips’ fonts because they became really small (the old site used a better/larger font). Even on large screens, readability is poor (i’m using a 23” LCD monitor).
20 Feb 2013

Hi Frank,

I've updated the mbed-HDK page to correct the two errors you've spotted. I'll create a ticket for us to make the editing tips font more readable at some point in the not too distant future.

Thanks again,

Steve

20 Feb 2013

Hi Frank,

I'll fix the font size in the editing tips pane this morning.

Cheers,

Rik

20 Feb 2013

The text and layout in the editing tips block should now be more readable.

Cheers,

Rik

20 Feb 2013

Change in search functionality?

If you search for "link status" in the non-beta site you can find this post: http://mbed.org/forum/mbed/topic/3740/?page=1#comment-18711

In the beta version it doesn't come up in the search results. A search for "isconnected" does not show up in the beta site as well (0 results). Well maybe it will after I post this - we will see...

Also, check spelling of "receive" in "You are now subscribed to this topic and will recieve email on every new post".

Regards Daniel

20 Feb 2013

Thanks Daniel,

A good spot there, forum replies are not getting indexed on the beta site, I'll make sure that's in there soon and that should sort out both of the search examples you point out.

"I before E except after C". There was a section on QI once saying there are more exceptions to that rule than cases where it applies (youtube link) in this case though you're right and we've made a mistake there, so I'll get that fixed too.

Steve

20 Feb 2013
  • strikethrough text is not working.
  • Would it be possible to add an option to the private message tool that allows us to receive a copy of our message (or set it by default)? I sometimes forget to make a copy of my reply. For now, the only way to get our answer back is to contact the pm'd user and ask him to send a copy back to you.
20 Feb 2013

Daniel Peter wrote:

Change in search functionality?

If you search for "link status" in the non-beta site you can find this post: http://mbed.org/forum/mbed/topic/3740/?page=1#comment-18711

In the beta version it doesn't come up in the search results. A search for "isconnected" does not show up in the beta site as well (0 results). Well maybe it will after I post this - we will see...

Also, check spelling of "receive" in "You are now subscribed to this topic and will recieve email on every new post".

Regards Daniel

Daniel,

I think those issues are now fixed. Thanks for pointing them out.

Steve

20 Feb 2013

Hi Stephen

The search functionality is still different. In the non-beta site, the search result took you to the specific post (comment) in a forum thread (topic). In the beta site, you just get a link to the top of the thread (topic) - and you'd need to know to search through the thread to find your search term.

Regards Daniel

edited - inserted comment/topic wording to tie in with naming used in urls

21 Feb 2013

Hi Daniel,

The way the forum search works on the non-beta site is that it will give a result for a maximum of one post in any given thread. This is to prevent the search results being full of items linking to the same thread. So while the search on the beta site doesn't take you to a specific post in a given thread it amounts to the same thing, one link to a thread. I don't think that either approach is optimal, we'll have to have a think about how that can be improved.

Steve

21 Feb 2013

Frank Vannieuwkerke wrote:

• strikethrough text is not working.

It doesn't look like it's working on the live site either. We'll have a look into that.

Frank Vannieuwkerke wrote:

• Would it be possible to add an option to the private message tool that allows us to receive a copy of our message (or set it by default)? I sometimes forget to make a copy of my reply. For now, the only way to get our answer back is to contact the pm'd user and ask him to send a copy back to you.

It is definitely possible, it's not going to happen as part of this beta release though, sorry. I'll add a ticket to improve the private messaging facility.

Steve

21 Feb 2013

Stephen Paulger wrote:

Hi Daniel,

The way the forum search works on the non-beta site is that it will give a result for a maximum of one post in any given thread. This is to prevent the search results being full of items linking to the same thread. So while the search on the beta site doesn't take you to a specific post in a given thread it amounts to the same thing, one link to a thread. I don't think that either approach is optimal, we'll have to have a think about how that can be improved.

Steve

Hi Steve

As an aside, the quote button doesn't appear to work on the beta site (at least not in IE9). I just got the quote tags above by logging in as non-beta.

Can I suggest the following for searching the forums? That if a search term appears more than once in a topic, you show a count of the number of occurrences against a single link for the topic, and when you follow the link through to the topic, you find a "next" button which takes you through those occurrences one by one (having automatically positioned at the first occurrence). Make it a nice big tablet friendly button as well ;-)

This would remove the annoyance of landing in a topic and then having to pull up the browser search yourself (and having to enter the searched-for term again).

Regards Daniel

24 Feb 2013

Ask a question page

The title block at http://mbed.org/questions/create either needs to be enlarged or the font needs to be reduced since through descender characters are cut off at the bottom (Tested with IE9).