Can't find *.bin download file using MS Internet Explorer

13 Jun 2012

I can no longer download the *.bin files after compiling using MS Internet Explorer 8.0. Click compile and it compiles OK, but then I get an error box that says "Unable to download compiler/ from mbed.org" "Unable to open this Internet site."

It was working and as far as I know nothing changed in my IE setup.

Still works OK using Firefox?

13 Jun 2012

Hi Jim,

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

Can you expand a little more on the platform? Things like

XP / Win7? 32/64 bit? Build/version of IE

Any antivirus software you might have installed.

We'll be looking into this in the mean time.

Thanks, Chris

13 Jun 2012

Win 7 64-bit. IE 8.0 (8.0.7601.17514). Did not install anything new, but have automatic updates turned on. Antivirus is MS Security Essentials. If other people are not having this issue perhaps something is wrong on my PC. Might also just update to IE 9.0 and perhaps it will go away.

Here is the error dialog box that pops up after the compiler window says "Success!"

/media/uploads/4180_1/d_error.jpg

Just hit compile again this morning and have the same result. Wonder if the *.bin file name is missing somehow given the error message?

13 Jun 2012

Hi Jim,

Initial investigations found this :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323308

This looks like a good contender for the root of the problem. It looks like its a known problem to do with downloads over SSL with Cache Control headers. There isn't much we can do about the headers, so an alternate browser or registry tweak seems like other options.

Interesting that you've only just seen the issue, and that it was fine before.

If you want to try the tweak, let us know how you get on. If you want to leave your registry well alone (not a bad idea!), then an alternate browser for now might be the best way. We'll continue to look into it.

Thanks, Chris

13 Jun 2012

It just started working OK again on it's own. I had rebooted a couple times this morning and noticed that a large number of updates installed at each shutdown and so after making sure all updates were installed and with another reboot I tried again and it started working again. I looked at the update install log and it looks like it just installed about 16 MS updates including several for antivirus, IE, and security. The first couple updates were installed automatically right at the time when things stopped working for the compiler download.

Microsoft must have released a big batch of Win 7 64-bit updates for June and at some point in the middle of installing all of them this problem occurs. I had not used this computer for a week or so.