Sluggish editing with FireFox 10?

06 Feb 2012

Hi, I just picked up working on an existing project, and I noticed the source code editor has become very sluggish under FireFox; almost unusable. For example, when your scroll down some source code, the source window goes completely blank for almost a second before the text is repainted. No such problem in Chrome.

This could well be a bug introduced into Firefox in V10. If so, could somebody who understands how the editor works report it to the Mozilla people? As it stands it leaves a really bad impression of the mbed dev tools on anybody using FireFox.

I'm running on a Win7/64 laptop over a fast cable line. Clearing the Firefox cache didn't help.

06 Feb 2012

Yeah, FWIW, seconded on Firefox 10 on Ubuntu 11.10, suddenly editor is much slower when e.g. scrolling. I expect this is some new chemistry with Firefox and not a change on the mbed side.

06 Feb 2012

Same here with FireFox 10, on 2 different computers. I switched to Chrome for editing this weekend.

06 Feb 2012

I've been having this issue for a while now in Firefox. Running Win7/64 as well.

Joe

06 Feb 2012

Hi,

I've just tested on Mac too; Firefox 9 working fine, when I update to Firefox 10 everything goes slooooowwww... (unusable)

So definitely looks like a performance regression in Firefox 10. We'll see if we can work out what has happened; hopefully find a workaround/help them fix it.

Simon

06 Feb 2012

Simon,

Just for your info, this issue is still a problem in Firefox 11.

Joe

06 Feb 2012

Hi,

There is now a fix for this in betamode (http://mbed.org/betamode/).

If that fix is confirmed, we'll aim to push the fix to the main compiler also.

Dan

06 Feb 2012

Dan,

Seems to be working fine my end (Win7/64/Firefox11).

Joe

06 Feb 2012

Works great indeed!

06 Feb 2012

But, I want to stay with some form of Linux, that is Ubuntu and latest Firefox if possible. However, Google Chrome works OK with the present Compiler. I'm sure Simon and friends will come up with a fix. Thanks in advance! Don

07 Feb 2012

I had the same problem, Win7 x64 & Firefox 10. Beta mode fixes it though :-)

Matt

09 Feb 2012

Dan and guys, Hello,

I'm newbie and just joined 2 days ago. I also had a slugish problem with firfox. Today, I tried betamode, It works well on my side (Ubuntu 11.10/32bits/firefox 10.0). Thanks great work!

11 Feb 2012

firefox 10 unusable - betamode works good tho' Win7/64/FF10