Arrows repeat rate in Firefox OS X

13 Sep 2011

In the code editor, if I press an arrow key - any of left, right, up, down - it repeats so fast that I can't use it, perhaps 50 per second or more. So there is no way to navigate other than touchpad or mouse, which is very inconvenient. All other keys including the space bar seem to be ok.

I am using the latest version of Firefox on OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) so it is not a Lion thing. Any help or direction (maybe an about:config setting) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

23 Nov 2011

Hi Mark,

Same problem here and it's been "that way" since I've started using Mbed. Firefox's key-repeat is stupendously fast - do not use "cmd-Z" to undo ... that's really ugly.

The fix as I see it is some change to the IDE to detect Firefox and somehow slow down the key repeat.

And the other ugly: If you leave the cmd/ctrl keys down whilst releasing the alpha-key (eg cmd-c = leave the cmd down, c comes up) the key-repeat keeps going.

Both of these are very reproducable if anyone would care to take a look.

23 Nov 2011

Hi Mark, Anthony,

Yep, we'd certainly care to look! I know we had to workaround some key-handling/repeat (or lack of) in the FF browser, so maybe there have been some changes/fixes in the more recent versions of FF. We'll investigate.

Thanks, Simon

23 Nov 2011

Is there going to any support for Android tablets, I think in about four weeks a lot of codes will be pulling out their hair !!!!!!!!

Worst thing so far is inability to navigate, and move the slides.

I have managed to compile and start downloading, Just before I lost my internet connection :(

Cheers

Ceri

12 Jan 2012

Simon Ford wrote:

Hi Mark, Anthony,

Yep, we'd certainly care to look! I know we had to workaround some key-handling/repeat (or lack of) in the FF browser, so maybe there have been some changes/fixes in the more recent versions of FF. We'll investigate.

Thanks, Simon

Hi Simon,

Any progress on tracking this one down? They key repeat - particularly when you're doing "Undo" can be a real pain

Thanks,

Anthony