mbed LPC1768 and "Multipoint Wireless Sensor Network V1" from LogicaTronics

12 Jan 2012

Hello,

I'm Richard Oliver, Director of a micro-business called LogicaTronics Limited here in the UK. We are not corporate, but we are professional. As an Independent Electronics and Software Developer, we evangelise mbed and other types of Single Board Computers.

We're announcing the release of "Multipoint Wireless Sensor Network V1". It is a synergy of mbed working with Arduino and Pachube to form a Rapid Telemetry System. Details were first presented at the IoT/London event, organised by Pachube, on the 14th December 2011.

I'd like to welcome feedback in relation to our documentation release - construction details in PDF, available to view on our website at: http://www.logicatronics.com

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn - links are on the website.

Thank you.

12 Jan 2012

Hello,

I saw Your page and PDF file described above. I must say that it is nicely done. My origin language is Czech but I was able to understand Your document about multipoint wireless sensor network V1 very well. The biggest "thumb up" from me is for using mbed in project and documentation.

On last page I also saw "motherboard" for mbed. This is great because of alphanumeric display, xbee socket and ethernet port. All suited into minimal size of whole board. I found that firmware for mbed is available upon e-mail request so I will ask :o)

For me is very positive that all settings are stored out of binary file so You don't need source code to get compiled over and over if You wish to change anything. Yes, this is whrere mbed is far better than others - 2MB local filesystem accessible from both sides - from PC or from program running on mbed. Hope we will hear more from You in future.

13 Jan 2012

Hello!

Thank you for your very positive reply. It is encouraging to hear that the document reads well for you in your second language.

little llumpu wrote:

I saw Your page and PDF file described above. I must say that it is nicely done. My origin language is Czech but I was able to understand Your document about multipoint wireless sensor network V1 very well. The biggest "thumb up" from me is for using mbed in project and documentation.

The LogicaTronics style of "open-source" is a little different from other vendors. We're using a documented "follow this recipe" approach, which enables the content to be understood by a wider audience and potentially from a non-technical background. It is more than just engineering notes, which generally only make sense to the author.

little llumpu wrote:

On last page I also saw "motherboard" for mbed. This is great because of alphanumeric display, xbee socket and ethernet port. All suited into minimal size of whole board. I found that firmware for mbed is available upon e-mail request so I will ask :o)

Excellent. If you send an email to enquiries@logicatronics.com, we can send you the software and keep you updated.

little llumpu wrote:

For me is very positive that all settings are stored out of binary file so You don't need source code to get compiled over and over if You wish to change anything. Yes, this is whrere mbed is far better than others - 2MB local filesystem accessible from both sides - from PC or from program running on mbed. Hope we will hear more from You in future.

We appreciated that many users would feel challenged by a requirement to understand C++ in the use of mbed. Therefore, we had a think about designing MWSN V1 for simplicity, while granting fine control. We imagined that we were "Technophobes" and then came up with the idea that the control is most easily facilitated in a text file of parameters.

By delivering user-control in this way, the Gateway firmware simply becomes a file to be copied onto your mbed system. You just need to read the Instructions For Use to learn how to configure the system.

Regarding the remote monitors, the source code of the Arduino FIO is made open-source to provide maximum flexibility. Arduino FIO is used because of its attractive features: small form-factor, integrated XBee and Li-Poly support, and low power requirement. I think mbed and Arduino can play nicely together - in a year of co-operatives!

LogicaTronics is permitting free use of the "MWSN V1" software for non-commercial applications. So if you just want to quickly put sensor(s) online, this solution might be for you.

Users can make their own "MWSN V1" from commercially available hardware (Digi, Sparkfun, mbed, Arduino), which is listed in the Instructions For Use. It is the user's choice to make their construction on breadboard, Veroboard or buy our forthcoming motherboard and micro-shield products.

For an example system ("live" as I write this), see: https://pachube.com/feeds/41029

Thank you for your interest! :o)

22 Jan 2012

Just a quick update. We're submitting our sensor micro-shield design to the PCB manufacturers shortly. Watch this space!

12 Apr 2012

Another quick update. We've finally received new boards this week - an updated MWSN Gateway and the Arduino FIO micro-shield, accommodating a variety of sensors.

We shall be attending "FutureEverything 2012" on 18th May, at the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester.

21 May 2012

Thank you to all the people who came over to the LogicaTronics stand at FutureEverything 2012.

You might be interested to know that our enhanced website is now live at http://www.logicatronics.com