Announcing Jumentum-SOC integrated BASIC version 0.99.1

07 May 2011

Jumentum System-on-Chip version 0.99.1 for LPC1768, LPC2368, LPC2148, and other LPC ARM processors has been released. This version adds support for USB serial port emulation (USB communication device class). This obviates the need for using a USB to serial converter as well as enables faster data transfers via USB. The USB has been tested with Windows 7, Windows XP, and Linux. This feature should be especially convenient for those developing their own circuit boards using these processors.

Note for mbed users: this USB serial port emulation in Jumentum uses the native LPC1768 USB device interface and is different that the USB serial port emulation of the mbed (which is built into a separate processor on the mbed). The included mbed binaries do not include the USB serial port emulation as this is already present on the mbed and therefore is not needed. However, the hex files for the non-mbed LPC1768 do include USB serial port emulation and should be helpful if you build your own board based on the LPC1768.

Also included are some enhancements to the BASIC language such as "DOLINE" which enables one to construct the text of a BASIC command inside a program and execute it.

Also, it has been tested with the NGX Technologies http://shop.ngxtechnologies.com/ mbed-Xpresso board using the Network or USB (thanks NGX Technologies!). It also works with the the mbed of course.

Jumentum-SOC is a network and USB accessible BASIC language for LPC ARM microcontrollers. It is designed to make it easier to program the microcontrollers as the entire development environment is contained on "chip" and is accessible via a Web server or a serial port/TELNET/USB terminal. No software needs to be installed on the PC except perhaps for a web server or terminal emulation software (e.g. Hyperterminal or Tera Term Pro). It has the ability to access files on SD cards. It is useful as a standalone or PC tethered data acquisition device.

The Sourceforge Web Site is at

http://jumentum.sourceforge.net/

and the source and firmware files can be downloaded from

https://sourceforge.net/projects/jumentum/files/Jumentum-SOC/

There is a guide for mbed users at

http://jumentum.sourceforge.net/mbed.html

As always, thank you for your interest and support!

Daniel Marks

11 May 2011

Hello Daniel, What is the pinout assigned for the SD card in Mbed with this compilation ?. I am using 5=Mosi/Di,6=Miso/D0, 7=SCK/Clk, 8=SSel/D3, but the SD is not seen. The SD works fine with the MBED C++ libraries. Thanks,

Jose-Maria PD: of course I set the proper nofatfs=n in the configuration.

12 May 2011

I posted a new Jumentum-SOC on the Sourceforge site (jumentum.sourceforge.net) that uses the SSP1 interface that the mbed boards typically connect to the SD card slot. You can use the attached .bin files here also with your mbed.

Dan

Regular Jumentum /media/uploads/profdc9/basic-mbed.bin

Floating Point Math Version /media/uploads/profdc9/basic-mbed-float.bin

12 May 2011

Hi Daniel,

!Great!, Thanks a lot!. I will check that release as soon as I get back home.

I do not know if this is complex or possible but would be an nice improvement to have a configuration menu item to define the SD connections. My five cents.

For non C++ masters, this Jumentum Soc basic simplifies a lot the programming for simple things, and can be done off line.

Josep Maria

12 May 2011

Oops, accidentally left USB support in the MBED version.

Try these .bins instead:

No floating point /media/uploads/profdc9/basic-mbed.bin

Floating point /media/uploads/profdc9/basic-mbed-float.bin

Thanks,

Dan

12 May 2011

Hi Daniel, It works partially. Now it mounts and is able to create a directory, list the SD contents but seems not to be able to create a file. I used the "fatfstes2.bas" file , that should create a directory "MD" (it does) as well as a "test5.txt" file (that does not). This is what I get with a just FAT formatted microSD:

Start program stat= 1 MD D 1988/02/01 00:00 0 opening file write filno=-5 writing to file=-5 new position=-1 closing file=-1 read filno=-5 feof=-1 closing file=-1 lines=0 Program Ended, Press CTRL-D End program

But, if I create manually the "test5.txt" file (plus a couple more), then it is able to read it and write to it:

Start program stat=TEST5.TXT A 2011/05/12 19:54 9 1 MD D 1988/02/01 00:00 0 2 MYFILE1.TXT A 2011/05/12 19:54 7 3 MYFILE2.TXT A 2011/05/12 19:54 7 4 TEST5.TXT A 2011/05/12 19:54 9 opening file write filno=1 writing to file=1 new position=16 closing file=0 read filno=1 feof=0 closing file=0 lines=2 Program Ended, Press CTRL-D End program

This is quite shocking. I will look at the "fatfstes2.bas" file to try to understand what it does. Maybe there is a bug on it....

Anyhow, at least I will be able to read files, that is my initial need. Thanks a lot for your help!

Jose-maria

12 May 2011

What happened? the listing appears with striketrhough!... Here I list again the output:

1)Blank SD

Start program stat= 1 MD D 1988/02/01 00:00 0 opening file write filno=-5 writing to file=-5 new position=-1 closing file=-1 read filno=-5 feof=-1 closing file=-1 lines=0 Program Ended, Press CTRL-D End program

2)Pre-created test5.txt file:

Start program stat=TEST5.TXT A 2011/05/12 19:54 9 1 MD D 1988/02/01 00:00 0 2 MYFILE1.TXT A 2011/05/12 19:54 7 3 MYFILE2.TXT A 2011/05/12 19:54 7 4 TEST5.TXT A 2011/05/12 19:54 9 opening file write filno=1 writing to file=1 new position=16 closing file=0 read filno=1 feof=0 closing file=0 lines=2 Program Ended, Press CTRL-D End program

12 May 2011

Hi Daniel,

After looking at the fatftest2.bas listing, it seems to me that the FOPEN("test5.txt","w") sentence does not create the file with the "w" option, so it needs to be created first.

In summary, it works!

thanks again,

Jose Maria