bogus data in UDP packet

21 Feb 2011

I was trying to capture 16 bit sound from a microphone. I wanted to use UDP to send the data to a pc for speech recognition. In the process I suspected bogus data in the UDP packets. Finally I made a test program to send a hundred integers. I started with 301 and added 200 each time. I was only able to reconstruct 90% of the integers. The other ten percent had bogus large numbers. (I do not see a pattern to the large numbers, but they are always the same.)

This reminded me of the spurious AnalogIn data. Soldering LED1 to a ground plane did not help.

Did static electricity fry my microcontroller? Before I learned to ground myself first, miniature lightening bolts jumped to a momentary switch next to my mbed.

I wish someone would use my code to see whether UDP packets have bogus data with their mbed.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Here is the c program that sends 200 bytes when loaded:

1. include "mbed.h"
  2. include "EthernetNetIf.h"
  3. include "UDPSocket.h"

EthernetNetIf eth; UDPSocket udp;

int main() { printf("Setting up...\n"); EthernetErr ethErr = eth.setup(); if(ethErr) { printf("Error %d in setup.\n", ethErr); return -1; } printf("Setup OK\n");

Use the IP of the client. Host unicast(IpAddr(192,168,0,2), 21567, NULL);

udp.bind(unicast);

char sampleStr[256];

while(true) { Net::poll(); sampleIndex = 0; uint16_t x = 301; for (int i = 0; i < 200; i+=2) { sampleStr[i + 1] = x & 0xff; sampleStr[i] = (x >> 8) & 0xff; printf("s[0] = %d s[1] = %d ", sampleStr[i], sampleStr[i+1]); printf("%d ", x); x += 200; } udp.sendto(sampleStr, 200, &unicast); wait(10); } }

Here is the Java program for a pc that receives 200 bytes and reconstructs most of the hundred integers:

import java.net.DatagramPacket; import java.net.DatagramSocket;

class Receive200 { public static void main(String args[]) throws Exception {

int clientPort = 21567;

int bufferSize = 256; byte buffer[] = new byte[bufferSize];

DatagramSocket ds = new DatagramSocket(clientPort);

String str; while (true) {

DatagramPacket packet = new DatagramPacket(buffer, buffer.length); ds.receive(packet);

str = new String(packet.getData(), 0, packet.getLength()); System.out.println("packet length = " + str.length());

if (str.length() == 200) { for (int i = 0; i < str.length() - 1; i+=2) { int anInt = ((int)(str.charAt(i))<<8)+(int)(str.charAt(i+1)); System.out.println(i + ":" + (int)(i + 1) + " " + anInt); } break; listen until a 200 byte packet is processed. } } } }

21 Feb 2011

Please ignore my ramblings. Python reads the 200 byte packet as it is supposed to be.