mbed WiFi lamp

08 Nov 2012

I have seen a video on youtube on a WiFi table lamp. I am new to mbed, and I would love to know if there are any experts that can help in, like making mbed connected to WiFi, and making mbed as the server (javascript or so?). So that people can control the light using any web browser?

Thank you very much!!!

08 Nov 2012

I'm in the process of porting the MRF24WB0MA driver from Microchip to the mbed. When I'm done, the meaning of it was to being able to control a lot of functions in my house via WiFi. Otherwise you can take the GSwifi module, whre drivers already are written.

Lerche

09 Nov 2012

Christian Lerche wrote:

I'm in the process of porting the MRF24WB0MA driver from Microchip to the mbed. When I'm done, the meaning of it was to being able to control a lot of functions in my house via WiFi. Otherwise you can take the GSwifi module, whre drivers already are written.

Lerche

Can I have more details on that? Cause I am completely new in making use of the mbed to connect to LAN

09 Nov 2012

Hi all,

You can also use the Roving Network wifi modules (RN XV for instance). All the instructions can be found on the wifly webpage. You can buy a RN-XV module on sparkfun for example.

This library exposes exactly the same API as the EthernetInterface and the Socket API. So that all programs using Ethernet are compatible with Wifi as well.

@Koon Lung Poon: concerning your project of using a browser to control your lamp, you could maybe try to use a RPC(remote procedure call) system. Instructions can be found here

Feel free to ask me more information on the wifi interface

Cheers, Sam

15 Nov 2012

fafa jaja wrote:

Thanks for your great reply. Now, I have compromised a little bit that the mbed unit is now only being connected by ethernet wire to the router. But I am not sure how the eight wires of the twisted pair could be connected to the board. I have checked this page: http://mbed.org/cookbook/Ethernet-RJ45, and I am not sure of what's going on. Iff I directly cut open a LAN cable then plug the respective wires onto the board, how should I start with?

Concerning the RPC, I will try to figure it out following the instructions there.

So, I think the problem now I encountered is on the hardware side.

Thank you very much, Sam!

Leo

16 Nov 2012

You would need magnetics (galavnic isolation) to connect the ethernet. Look for mbed ethernet on skpang.co.uk for example.

Lerche

17 Nov 2012

So that, I must buy that galavnic isolation in order to make mbed online? That means I cannot simply connect the 8 cables in an enthernet cable to mbed?

17 Nov 2012

No exactly.

Like this is done: http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/catalog/mbed-lpc1768-workshop-development-board-p-608.html
Have a look at the schematic.

Lerche

17 Nov 2012

Thanks, I will try to do the mapping. I will let you guys know what is the progress.