DHCP stalling on second DHCP

31 Mar 2011

Hi Guys,

I seem to have the problem that my Mbed is freezing when aquiring its DHCP address second time. Im trying to make a setup that can handle being connected and disconnected from ethernet.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Kind regards

Jesper

02 Oct 2011

i have the same problem. I wish to retry connecting until mbed connects. However it stalls on the second try. Has anyone got a solution for this?

03 Oct 2011

DHCP does not work at all in my application (connecting to Satellite modem) although it works (connects first time) to a Thomson DSL hub/router.

The (overall) problem is that the example libraries for Net Services are kind of beta-grade. They have been very kindly created by the community developers, but are only a starting point for professional applications. There are other similar problems with the HTTPClient, which I have mostly had to work through and hack the libraries myself, since the origins developers have moved on to other things, or cannot address my questions, for whatever reason.

If the mbed staffers are reading, I think that two things would be helpful:

1. Net Services Libraries should be labelled with the grade of testing that each has had. Designers are finding out the hard way that they are not ready for any applications other than the uncritical, and this is not generating a good impression of mbed.

2. Please consider taking up with Miro's offer of collaboration to make the Quantum Leaps LwIP port work with mbed. The QL effort is clearly of proper professional quality and would make a TCP/IP platform worthy of such a wonderful Development Tool as mbed. It appears to be stuck at the PHY driver, which surely must have been studied in detail to produce the Official Ethernet driver we have now. The LwIP stack needs an Official version in order for it to be properly maintained - it's too unwieldy to be left as a community project.

http://mbed.org/forum/mbed/topic/2073/?page=1

End of Rant. What do other designers think?

26 Feb 2012

I'm having the same problem of not being able to retry connect as it hangs. Seems that the DHCP stuff may not work well either as it seems to hang getting the IP address and generally the original failure that is being retried failed with DHCP. I'm old and new with Mbed. Tried it when offered under the Circuit Cellar contest and put it aside. Decided to try it again and having this problem along with the saves, compiles, etc. hanging sometimes for ever and have to blow stuff away and restart. Guess I'm not certain what I should expect from Mbed but as of this moment my impression is that it may be a time drain. Like the idea but need it to perform.

27 Feb 2012

I found the updated NetServices from Segundo and the retries now work. Thanks Segundo.