Where is the usb library for mbed

05 Jan 2011

I am looking at the mbed library and I can't see any usb libs am I missing something.

05 Jan 2011

There are no official mbed USB libraries, although, several people have published various USB programs on the site, have a look at those. I do agree though, it would be nice to have an official USB library for HID devices and such..After all, PIC and ATMEL counterparts come with some pretty good native USB support.

05 Jan 2011 . Edited: 05 Jan 2011

user Igor Martinovski wrote:

There are no official mbed USB libraries, although, several people have published various USB programs on the site, have a look at those. I do agree though, it would be nice to have an official USB library for HID devices and such..After all, PIC and ATMEL counterparts come with some pretty good native USB support.

Hi Igor,

From looking at several baseboards and demos, examples and support for lpc1768, there is some other support  I see missing as well. It is not as important as official usb librarys in the trunk, but it is still making things really hard for me.

05 Jan 2011

In time there maybe will be such support.

Lerche

05 Jan 2011

user Philips Philips wrote:

Hi Igor,

From looking at several baseboards and demos, examples and support for lpc1768, there is some other support  I see missing as well. It is not as important as official usb librarys in the trunk, but it is still making things really hard for me.

Hi Phillips Philips,

Other than the USB libraries, what are the things that are missing that are making things hard for you? Do you mean support as in "library support for X" or support as in, more/better documentation, specific examples and so on.

The more we know about what makes things tough, the better we can focus our effort!

Thanks,
Chris

05 Jan 2011 . Edited: 05 Jan 2011

user Chris Styles wrote:

user Philips Philips wrote:

Hi Igor,

Hi Phillips Philips,

Other than the USB libraries, what are the things that are missing that are making things hard for you? Do you mean support as in "library support for X" or support as in, more/better documentation, specific examples and so on.

The more we know about what makes things tough, the better we can focus our effort!

Thanks,
Chris

I am pretty new to the microcontrollers all I want to do is to encode the audio signal to a audio format, but having talk to a friend who has been doing this for years he says he has never seen any demos or example to even do this.

I can't understand why this is something that is not teached, and why we have everything done for us with a codec.

So I guess this applies to each one of the things you asked above.

05 Jan 2011

I agree, there are no HID type Library's,

the basic PIC18F4550 has HID Demo's for dozens of relay useful stuff like:

Mouse, Keyboard. USB MIDI, quite a few 'Input type devices' etc..

as well as the extremaley useful BASIC HID Interface.

my current project would benefit so much from a basic HID Interface.

how can I implement it ?

I have got the USBMouse demo working with Keyboard,

but cannot work out how to squeeze in HID

Cheers

Ceri

05 Jan 2011

Yes official HID libraries would be fantastically helpful, especially for the new developer.

25 Sep 2011

In my opinion it is realy time for an official USB class in the mbed libray.

25 Sep 2011

Yes, I have to agree. My last successfull attempt was adding HID String Descriptor to USB HID mouse and keyboard demo.

Import programUSBKeyboardMouse_with_String_Descriptor

Based on USBKeyboardMouse example. I added USB String Descriptor so mbed reports itself to host not only with VID & PID but also with name of manufacturer, product name, serial number, configuration number and interface name. These can be changed to matching Yours in USBhid.cpp file on lines 88 - 122.

But there are still many TO DO's in this examples which are based on USB mouse/keyboard programs. I was trying to add LED signalization for Keyboard part to see if Caps Lock, Scroll lock or Num lock are on or off but with no success. Output buffer was always empty. Maybe something is missing SET report handler? I was also able to develop device with one interrupt in endpoint 81 and one output endpoint 02 but wasn't able to recieve any data on output endpoint. So it would be nice challenge for mbed community to try finalize fully functional USB HID stack. And for mbed staff to help too:o)

26 Sep 2011

Over the weekend, I have once again attempted to get BASIC HID Interface working, Annoyingly, I belive that Keybord/Mouse should be more complexed ?

But Never mind, If any one wants to have a look at the Microchip version, then I have zipped up all the files ... /media/uploads/ceri/usb_hal_pic18.zip

As pointed out by Igor, there are very good lib's & code example for all the 'other' micros,

As you might of guessed, I am a PIC Convert, but when it actual comes to building my next board, I am going to have to use a USB PIC :(

Hope some one can work out what is needed to get BASIC HID working soon.

Cheers

Ceri.