Configuration Issues with Custom Board based on Nucleo F446

08 Jun 2019

Dear members of ARM Mbed Forum, I'm writing from Team DIANA, a robotics student team based on Politecnico di Torino in Italy. I've designed a board to drive stepper motors based on Nucleo F446RE with ST L6208 Bipolar stepper motor driver. The board is a carbon copy clone of Nucleo, the only difference is in the clock source, and use an 8 Mhz Crystal resonator beside the external clock of Nucleo. The issue with Mbed (that we have happly used with Nucleo+ a shield with driver) is the configuration of clock source. I have added to the project a mbed_app.json made like this :

mbed_app.json

{
  "target_overrides": { 
        "NUCLEO_F446RE": {
                "platform.stdio-baud-rate": 115200,
               "target.clock_source": "USE_PLL_HSE_XTAL"
               }
        }
}

Once a simple blinker code has been flashed with success on the board the oscillator is powered up at 3.3V but the led pin stay as floating state, and the serial console appears to be dead. This situation shows that the MCU isn't initialized.

On the other half I've used CUBE MX to generate the configuration and a simple program using SW4STM32 and HAL functions from Cube works and the LED is blinking correctly.

Where I'm wrong? The board is working correctly and the problem appears to be on software side. I hope that the community can help our team to resolve the issue. Thank you very much for the attention.

18 Oct 2019

Hello Luigi,

Is the clock source frequency the same as in NUCLEO_F446RE? You might have to add also target.clock_freq with correct value in MHz. Have you been able to test your hardware any other than MbedOS?

Thanks, Pekka