[STM32 - X-NUCLEO-IKS01A1] GPS

03 Dec 2015

Hello,

I am working with the board STM32 - X-NUCLEO-IKS01A1 for a project. I need to determine the GPS position of my board. Is there any possibilities to do so ? Do I need a special add on or how can I do it ? I want to be able to determine the position of a person carrying the card with him.

Thank you

09 Dec 2015

If you want a GPS position then you need to add a GPS receiver.

09 Dec 2015

Thanks Andy. My problem is that I don't know which one I should choose. Which one is compatible with my board (STM32 - X-NUCLEO-IKS01A1) ?

11 Dec 2015

Just about any should work. Almost all of them output NMEA format text from a UART. You just wire it up to power and a spare serial port and you should get the data.

16 Dec 2015

Hello Andy. I looked for GPS receier and found this one : http://www.lextronic.fr/P29511-recepteur-gps-oem-em-506.html Do you think it is good and if I will be able to connect it with my board ?

16 Dec 2015

It has a NMEA output but I don't have a RS232 port on my board. Do I need to add a component to my board to connect the GPS to it ? I am not sur if I am clear, tell me if you do not understand my question. Thank you

16 Dec 2015

That should work fine. Connect the power input to the 5V out on the Nucleo CPU board. GND to GND and data out to a UART rx pin.

16 Dec 2015

The X-NUCLEO-IKS01A1 is an expansion board for nucleo or arduino CPU boards, it doesn't have a processor it only has sensors.

The GPS and the IKS01A1 both need to connect to a CPU board to be able to do anything.

17 Dec 2015

Thank you for your answers I will try it. I am using this Nucleo CPU board (NUCLEO-F401RE) : http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/user_manual/DM00105823.pdf So no need to use a RS232 port ?

18 Dec 2015

No.

The GPS and the Nucleo both have TTL level UARTS (0-3.3V). You only need to use a RS232 driver (e.g. a MAX232) if you want to talk to a PC or something else that uses RS232 (-15 to + 15V)

06 Jan 2016

Hey Andy, I will tell you as soon as we receive the GPS receiver if we succeed !

We might have another problem for our project : indeed I have a code to launch on the card, but I constantly need to Build & Run the code.

As we planned to use the CPU board without computer, we planned to supply it with a wireless battery, by enabling the LED3 (for this we turn JP1 jumper to ON mode) and by linking pins 1 and 2 with another jumper on JP5 jumper.

If this works, how can we automatically and permanently run the code on the board, without any human interaction ?

10 Feb 2016

Hello,

I received my GPS receiver one week ago. I manage to connect it to my board but unfortunatly I don't know how to get the datas from it... I am developping in C language and I don't find any code sample that I could use. Do you have any idea how to do it ?

Thank you

10 Feb 2016

For a basic test just echo the data from the GPS to the PC.

#include "mbed.h"
Serial pc(USBTX,USBRX);
Serial gps(Data to GPS pin, Data from GPS pin);

main() {
  gps.baud(9600);
  pc.baud(whatever you want your PC port to run at as long as it's at least 9600);
  while(true)
    pc.putc(gps.getc());
}

You should then get NMEA text show up on the PC.

There are several mbed libraries around to parse NMEA and give you latitude and longitude if you don't want to write your own.

10 Feb 2016

Your code seems perfect but my problem is that I am only working in C language and I dont know how to include "mbed.h" that contains C++ (and C# ?) ?

10 Feb 2016

Import the mbed library into your project, that will give you mbed.h and all of the mbed libraries. In addition to giving you a nice API for things like the serial ports it also handles all of the CPU setup and initialization for you. You can't build a project on mbed without it.

Yes mbed.h contains c++ but c is a subset of c++, you can write your code in pure c and (with a few fairly rare exceptions) it'll work fine as c++ code. mbed.h doesn't contain c#, c and c++ are very similar, all that c# has in common with c is that its name starts with a c.

11 Feb 2016

Thanks for your answers Andy. I am sorry but I am a beginner with mbed, my question may be stupid... Still, I can't manage to build my projet because the library sends me errors. I downloaded the last version of mbed and it seems like the compiler does not find the mbed.h. Do you know where this error comes form ?

/media/uploads/wizardry/capture_d--cran_2016-02-11_-_13.10.09.png

11 Feb 2016

Import the mbed library into the project.

17 Feb 2016

Hello Andy. I am a newbie but I don't manage to import the library to my project. I downloaded the library but I don't know how to import it to my project. Can you help me ?( I am using Eclipse and developping in C).

17 Feb 2016

Sorry, no idea. I use the online compiler, I've no experience with eclipse.

27 Feb 2016

l come here for improve my english level.

27 Feb 2016

my english very poor ,wish get help

30 May 2016

hello every one

I am new in mbed compiler

how can I get data from sensors and display it in the screen of my PC

I am using nucleo IKS01A1

please help me

31 May 2016

The first thing to do is not post on the end of a dead thread in the forum ;-)

the basic program is very simple,

while true
  read from the sensor
  print the values on a serial port
  wait a short amount of time

Or in c using the mbed libraries

#include "mbed.h"
Serial pc(USBTX, USBRX);

void setupSensor(void);
float readSensor(void);

main() {
  setupSensor();
  while (true) {
    float sensorReading = readSensor();
    pc.printf("Value is %.3f\r\n",sensorReading);
    wait(1);
  }
}

void setupSensor(void) {
  // add code here to set the sensor up (if needed)
}

float readSensor(void) {
  float reading;
  reading =   // add code to read sensor here
  return reading;
}

Exactly what goes in the functions to set the sensor up and read from it depends what it is.

I was Asian The use of English, so I stuck to it. Anyway, I still prefer to use English. I like to learn, because it's never ending.

[[]]

It has NMEA output, but I do not have a RS232 port on my board. I need to add a component of my board to connect the GPS to whether or not I'm not sur if I clearly told me that you did not understand my question, thank you.

30 Dec 2016

I just want to know why I am in the windows command to download the command line compiler error