Terminal application Tera Term - Windows 7

13 Oct 2011

Hello, I'm still fairly new to working with mbed. I was working the last couple months with Windows XP OS and my terminal application TeraTerm was working with no issue. Today I moved to Windows 7 and tried installing TeraTerm. Am I correct that there isn't a version available for W7?

This is the original reference with link to software publisher website:

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Software&p=Tera%20Term%20Web%20Pro&v=Ayera%20Technologies&uid=3&l=en&pf=0&pi=1&s=expression%20web&os=32-bit

14 Oct 2011

version 4.5.9 works OK here for Win 7 32 bit. Don't know if yours is W7 64 bit or even if that's an issue.

I use TeraTerm on rare occasions. Most often, I use Bray's Terminal.

14 Oct 2011

Hi Scott,

I'm using Tera Term v4.66 (built May 31 2010) on Win 7 Pro x64 at the moment & haven't seen any problems (yet)...though I've only been using to view some serial output, not send data to the mbed.

Can you give us a bit more information on what isn't working please?

Cheers,

Jez

14 Oct 2011

Hi Jez, Steve, Thanks for your posts. Attached is a screen shot of the error I'm seeing.

Here's a list of the things I've tried. 1. Attempted install by double clicking directly teraterm471.exe 2. Right click and attempted install under local admin 3. Changed default destination location from [C:\Program Files (x86)\teraterm] to [C:\Program Files\teraterm]. I'm running Win 7 64 bit. 4. Attempted the standard setup installation and then the compact setup installation

The site I'm downloading TeraTerm 4.71 from is: http://logmett.com/index.php?/download/download-tera-term-471-freeware.html

Thanks for your help. I know this isn't a TeraTerm forum but I appreciate taking the time to help. Scott

/media/uploads/Scott/teratermerror.png

14 Oct 2011

Following up to my post right above-

After selecting <Ignore> the TeraTerm install completed with no further error messages. I hooked up my mbed and opened up a Terminal session. I selected the <Serial> radio button and then looked in the drop down box for the <mbed serial port>, but it does not appear. When I was using TeraTerm on my last machine I vaguely remember having to go into Computer Management => Device Manager => Ports to do something, but I don't remember what that was.

Thanks in advance for any tips on this question. Scott

16 Oct 2011

I am using version 4.6 (12/7/2010) and it works well on Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

I don't seem to have the radio button and I have to know in advance which COM port is connected to the MBED. As I usually have several serial ports open a one time, with varying baud rates, it sometimes gets confusing.

Richard

17 Oct 2011

Hi Scott,

I've just installed the mbed serial driver on the Win 7 Pro x64 PC & checked it all works - I even see the mbed as COM 3 in the drop-down list in TeraTerm...

When I'm home this evening I'll try installing a later version of TeraTerm (I've got v4.71 to try) & see how that woks.

One point is that I do have administrator priviledge on the PC (and I've got UAC turned on still).

Will hopefully have more to report back later!

Cheers,

Jez

20 Oct 2011

Jez, Thanks for your last post. I didn't install the mbed serial driver. It now works. Sincerely, Scott

21 Oct 2011

Hi Scott,

Glad it turned out to be something simple & you're up & running now.

Cheers, Jez

21 Jan 2013

Is TeraTerm the most accepted/widely used terminal emulator? My system is Windows 7 pro x64 bit core i7 and I'm keen to use a terminal for display. Incidentally, anyone any experience using Linux Mint14 I'd like to use that on my other laptop, I only use Windows recently as I need it for Autocad work. As Linux still has a 'proper' terminal mode would the set be the same?

Thanks in advance.

21 Jan 2013

Derek Calland wrote:

Is TeraTerm the most accepted/widely used terminal emulator? My system is Windows 7 pro x64 bit core i7 and I'm keen to use a terminal for display. Incidentally, anyone any experience using Linux Mint14 I'd like to use that on my other laptop, I only use Windows recently as I need it for Autocad work. As Linux still has a 'proper' terminal mode would the set be the same?

Thanks in advance.

(free) Bray's terminal is very popular for serial port terminal uses (rather than Telnet/SSH). I've used it for years. Doesn't need UAC disabled in windows.

PuTTY is another popular one like TeraTerm, for Telnet/SSH. Probably has Linux version.

I've used Linux for years, but most of my time is in Windows due to tools I use that are WIndows-only or require MS Office. The other day I ran the latest Linux Mint in the free VM software from Sun/Oracle. It's OK.

23 Jan 2013

Thanks for that I'll have a look at whats available for terminal emulators. Regarding VM software I originally loaded Mint13 then used VM to load Windows 7 but was disappointed with the screen handling when using Windows 7 on my laptop so reverted back to full blown Windows 7.

23 Jan 2013

I've tried quite a few including TeraTerm, and always end up going back to HTerm which is free. (http://www.der-hammer.info/terminal/)

Its got nice end of line functions, as well as compound binary, hex, dec and ascii views as well.

24 Jan 2013

HTerm.. new to me. Despite the web page, the program's UI is English.

04 Apr 2018

Respected sir/madam , Am using teraterminal-4.88 . but it take any charater but it was not visible on terminal window and it receiving character but not displaying on terminal window. what i shoud do please do the needful.

thank you

27 Sep 2019

Being a tech professional I would like to say that Tera Term is an open source , free, software implemented , terminal emulator program. It emulates different types of company terminals . It supports telnet SSH and serial port connections. Actually when I was working on it I got a massage written as error code 0x4004f00d . If you feel the same you can have a look on it. I found it very relevant .

https://msofficetechnicalsupportnumbers.com/blog/ms-office-2013-error-code-0x4004f00c-or-0x4004f00d/