Interfacing mbed LPC1768 SPI to PIC12F1840 (5v)

22 Jun 2012

Greetings.

I need to interface the mbed LPC1768 to a PIC12F1840 through SPI. The PIC is the 5V version. Since the mbed is 5V tolerant, will I be able to do this, without any signal level conversion and maintaining the interface operable?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

PJ

10 Jul 2012

As far as I am aware all the relevant MBED ports are 5v-tolerant, so the PIC to MBED direction should be covered. Unfortunately MBED to PIC may need buffering, the PIC SPI function appears to have "CMOS" input levels meaning the minimum logic high level is 0.8Vdd or 4V.

If you breadboard it the chances are it will work anyway but officially the MBED logic levels aren't high enough.

A HCT series logic gate should do the conversion though.

12 Jul 2012

Thank you for your help. This was really useful!

02 Mar 2015

Pedro Jorge wrote:

Greetings.

I need to interface the mbed LPC1768 to a PIC12F1840 through SPI. The PIC is the 5V version. Since the mbed is 5V tolerant, will I be able to do this, without any signal level conversion and maintaining the interface operable?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

PJ

Pedro Jorge wrote:

Greetings.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

PJ

02 Mar 2015

You can use max3390e for spi conversion of 3.3v to 5v I have the same issue of connecting 3.3spi to 5v I donot know if configuring psudo spi pulled to 5v possible on mbed