sinking / sourcing 30mA @ 24V (driver IC)

16 Apr 2012

After a long search (most of my day) of both RS and farnell, which I will continue, can anyone reccomend, a single or dual (or more) channel driver, that will source or sink 30mA (each channel) @ 24V, compatible with 3.3V I/O (mbed). I'm either being very dim here or rs have very few devices which go above 18V, and none are 3.3 CMOS compatible, and farnell has given me a small headache.

I'm not bothered whether they are low or high side drivers, I can attach the load i am driving in either arrangement. I do hope someone has a chip in their arsenal suitable. OR someone points out an obvious shortcoming in my searching.

Regards.

EDIT: for example http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/77630.pdf gives me 'cmos compatible' but I am unsure of whether using an mbed pin will be damaged by this device or not?

16 Apr 2012

Hi Joel you could try a uln2803a which is an octal driver with open collector outputs

which you can drive quite happily from an mbed pin and it will switch upto 50v at 500ma per output and they are cheap

the "a" version has a diode for driving inductive loads

regards chris

18 Apr 2012

Or ULN2003A/D..

You could use TC4431/2, as it designed for driving with uC (2.4V logic1)...

26 Apr 2012

Many thanks gents, I need to understand the rs / farnell categories a little better!