MBED Application Shield + Light sensor and temperature humidity sensor

14 Apr 2017

Hi,

It's my first topic in this forum, so if I made mistake about format or something like this I apologies in advance.

I own actually an K64F board with MBED application shield, Light sensor (bh1750fvi) and a humidity sensor (BME280).

However, with my actual skills in this domain I'm unable to do crazy things when tasks need lot of acknowledge with electrical connections and stuff like that, I'm CS student initially so hardware it's not my domain.

So, my goal is to work with MBED shield's components and in the same the light and humidity sensors, however I saw that it's impossible to connect these 2 extra component directly to the MBED shield, I tried to connect it to the XBEE socket but it seems to be impossible to getting them works (cf picture http://imgur.com/a/T06yx).

What are my solutions ? I bought a breadboard and wires by sake of prudence...

Thank you

19 Aug 2017

The K64F has two unpopulated interfaces on the back of the board (the side with the RGB led). They are SPI and UART (check the bottom of the board for pinouts). It looks like the two sensors you want to use utilize I2C for communication. My suggestion would be to populate those rear headers and try to mux the pins into I2C if possible. If they can't be made into I2C and your sensors can't be made to interface with SPI or UART, then I would look at a go-between shield. If the application shield is like most arduino shields, the inner row of pins on the K64 should still be accessible. With a go between shield you could just use jumper wires from the K64 headers to your breadboard.