Universal mbed Breadboard

28 Oct 2011

I couldn't find a "universal" breadboard for the mbed module and didn't want to cut up a solderless breadboard, one per set of pins. I just needed easy access to the mbed pins. I bought a Vellman ECL1/2 breadboard that measures 80-by-100 mm and provides horizontal strips of contacts on one side and holes on 0.1-inch centers. I used a #27 drill bit to cut through horizontal conductors in order to isolate pins on one side of the mbed module from those on the other side. Three strips of female headers on each side let me easily plug in an mbed board and have two contact points per mbed pin. I also soldered a strip of male headers on each side to provide contact points for a logic analyzer, scope probes, or connectors. The Vellman board has room left over for additional circuits and components. I had female and male headers in my parts bins, but Jameco, Digi-Key, or Mouser have many types to choose from. I found the Vellman ECL1/2 at www.eio.com for $US 4. So for under $10 you can build a universal mbed breadboard. /media/uploads/microguy/dsc02176.jpg /media/uploads/microguy/dsc02178.jpg

29 Oct 2011

Hi,..

nice work, but, I'm not quite sure what I am missing.

An mbed does fit across the midline of a solderless board,.. but if you need more tie points per pin, you can do this..

http://mbed.org/projects/cookbook/wiki/Breadboard

I have a couple of mbeds, and they never leave their boards!

I also bought a packet of 6" crocodile->crocodile connectors off ebay. (about $10 for 10)

which I use to connect bits of equipment wire, stuck in the board to multimeter probes etc.

cheers

Dave

29 Oct 2011

I find those imported solderless breadboards pretty much junk. All it takes in one intermittent connection to cause troubleshooting nightmares. I use "old" and reliable solderless breadboards from E&L Instruments and AP (gold-plated contacts). When I do professional work, hobby-grade breadboards just don't make the grade. Just a matter of preference I suppose.