Garbage characters appended when compiling in Chrome

30 Jun 2010

When I try a compile in Chrome (Win, 6.0.447.0) I get a ton of errors and warnings on the very last line of the code.  The last line visible in Chrome is just a closing '}' bracket.  When I open it in another browser (Firefox) I see garbage characters, obviously triggering the errors.

The characters are random extended characters, different every time, for example "þÿ-C".  There are also some nulls which trigger any number of "Null (zero) character in input line ignored" in file ...' errors.  Other errors are ""Unrecognized token (E7)" in file ...", ""Expected a declaration (E169)" in file ..." and others that you'd expect with random characters at the end of the file.

When I clean up the code in Firefox and save it it compiles correctly.

When I reload the cleaned code in Chrome it compiles correctly.

When I make even a single character edit in Chrome the error reoccurs and new garbage characters are appended, though the characters are still invisible in Chrome.

I happens with pretty much any program I compile no mater how complex or simple, in both the stock complier and the beta.

I'm happy to keep troubleshooting if anyone can give me ideas of other stuff to try.

30 Jun 2010

Hi Steve,

Am i correct in thinking 6.0.447 a dev version of chrome? Also, do you have any plugins etc installed?

We'll investigate, but i'm wondering if this is a bug in a dev release of chrome (or an upcoming incompatibility; if so, thanks for the early warning!). If anyone else is seeing this on a standard stable install of chrome, please shout asap!

Thanks,
Simon

01 Jul 2010

Whoop, yes, that's a dev version of Chrome.  Forgot that I enabled that.  Sorry to sound the alarm when I'm working with heavily beta software.

(Though just to be thorough: I tried it with all plugins/addons disabled and got the same result.)

03 Jul 2010

Just a status update: This was a Chrome bug in the dev version and it's been fixed in the latest release.  (v 6.0.453.1)

03 Jul 2010

Great, thanks for reporting back!