Windows File Protection (WFP) system can destroy the file system of the mbed

12 Jan 2011

Warning if you are using windows, the Windows File Protection (WFP) system  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222193/en-us)can bug and refuse to finish the file transfer (a small windows opens during the transfer and doesn't close).So, if you unplugged the mbed during such problem, you can destroy the file system of the mbed...

It happened to my mbed: two new files appear : USBC 3 997 696KB and USBC-­ZL. 753 664KB)and the .bin file can no more be remove or updateSo the mbed works with this only program, and I have found no solutions for the moment to solve this issue...

12 Jan 2011

Have you tried reformatting the mbed drive?

12 Jan 2011

Indeed, it could be very good idea.

But in the mean time, we have connected the mbed on Ubuntu, and miracle after removing the bad files... everything is coming back to normal!

On Windows OS, removing the file was impossible.

Thanks

08 Feb 2011

I had a similar problem, in that an attempt to save a new binary file created by the compiler resulted in a corrupted file system on the mbed. I am using Windows but didn't see a WFP window, so my bug may have had a different cause. I didn't unplug the mbed but I did press the reset button and noticed nothing happened. The symptoms were a collection of files on the mbed with garbage names that could not be removed. Fortunately, reformatting the mbed drive solved the problem, and it has not happened again.

22 Mar 2011

I'm having a similar problem. I have a file on my mbed called VTCM.ini and when I try and open it it says it is corrupted. I unplug the MBED, Hold the rest button and plug it back in. I then delete the VTCM.ini file.

When I try and copy a new file with the same name onto the MBED it asks if I want to replace the existing file (which is not even visible). I say yes and I get a "Connot do operation... Corrupt file"...

Should I reformat the MBED? How do you do that. I want to be sure I do not make the situation worse...

-

NEVER MIND! I reformatted the MBED drive and it's happy again. Thanks.

22 Mar 2011

Hi, It seems to us that erasing the bad file from a PC with Ubuntu was the simpliest solution

It is not clear where the problem is. My point of vue is the cache or the file system of the mbed could sometimes returns bad information to the Windows OS, It could be also a problem with the size of the cluster on the mbed which is different with the windows one, and as most of my program are very small, the WFP go crazy with this small file. Anyway, it is only fiction speaking

However, some of our students have succeeded to remove the issue using the format options on windows USB drive! Clearly, as the vital part of the mbed is protect against writing, formating can only access to the user part, so do not worry about formating

But, I have try it and as my mbed wasn't able to clearly connect to Windows, the size of the mbed didn't correspond to the options of the format options. (the proposed size was more like having an old 2Mo USB drive)

So, better go on Ubuntu or another kind linux to solve the problem. Best regards,

23 Mar 2011

Hi

Strange story! As far as i know, WFP only protects the system32 directory (iw windows itself) and NOT usb drives. What you see might be corruption on the usb bus by incompatible controlers/hubs or virusscanner scanning the bin file. Also most browsers now generate temp files before actually saving. A virus/trojan trying to infect could also be a cause.

Btw is USBC the name of your project?