Compiler/Editor nits on Mac OS

20 Oct 2010

Hi. I'm finding it very hard to use the editor because it so un-Mac -like. I wonder if you could address a number of these issues:

- meta-arrow keys don't work as expected. Command-left or right should go to end of line, option-left or right should go to next word. Command-up and command-down move the caret to the top or bottom, respectively. Holding shift while doing any of these selects from the current point to the new point.

- triple-click should select the entire line, and the return at the end. The selection highlight should extend across the page.

- After selecting an entire line (i.e. with triple-click), I should be able to type Command-C, Command-V, Command-V, and end up with the line duplicated, and the insertion caret blinking on the line after the second copy of the line.

- Copy & paste seem to be very flaky. I was unable to reliably copy selected text.

- Tab/back-tab (shift-tab) should not shift an entire line. No matter what the selection, pressing the tab key should either insert a tab, or replace the selection with a tab. (related to this, I really want to use real tabs, not expand tabs into spaces).

- To shift an entire line, or block of lines, the convention on the Mac is Command-[ and Command-]. You select all or part of a line, then type Command-[, and the entire block is shifted to the left one tab stop (similarly, Command-] shifts to the right one tab stop).

Thanks!

22 Oct 2010

Hi Roderick,

Thanks for taking the time to identify all these possible Mac-like shortcuts. We'll see which of these can be added!

Cheers,

Simon

01 Dec 2010

If you indeed have a new version of the website that omits the line numbers on each line of the source, it should be easy to do serious editing on another editor eg the free xcode editor. Then only rather minor editing during debugging sessions would end up subject to these issues.