svn integration

What is the best way to go about repo integration and continuous testing ? Obviously any and all code worked on needs to be in some version control system the second it becomes something of some value; and right now the only way to do that seems to be to do a project export, unzip and commit to local svn. Is there a way we can reference a remote SVN repository (It seems that the import interface does not let me enter a non mbed SVN repo; even when I provide credentials in the URL).

Thanks,

Dw.

20 Jul 2010 . Edited: 20 Jul 2010

Hi Dw,

We don't currently have version control integrated in the the environment, so the route you suggest is the way if you do want to do this. You can also use the publishing mechanism, and (re)publish your program at any point, and each version will then be available so it is easy to revert etc, but it is certainly not a full version control solution.

Our future plan is to look at using GIT to support this workflow, as the distributed nature could work very well for both publishing and individual development. But for the foreseeable future, the publishing mechanism or downloading to a local version control system is the best solution.

Thanks for the feedback; always good to hear desires in the form of questions.

Simon

Thanks. Totally clear. As a plea - the ability to track any and all work in (local) svn is one which, when using this in any remotely corporate/non-hobby environment, almost non-negotiable :) - especially when issues, progress, ownership, creating of IPR and bugs are tracked against it.

Dw.

21 Jul 2010

I'd also love to be able to use SVN/GIT/anything for development. More than once, not being able to revert or diff changes has cause me a couple of hours of lost "fun development" time.

Any chance of bumping this version control request to a higher priority? It'd probably help quiet down the "offline compile" requests too.

Many thanks,

James.

25 Jul 2010

"Bump"-ing this topic.

As code gets more complex, we really need a way to track changes. I can even imagine multiple students working on different parts of the same project simultaneously. Exporting and duplicating projects is quite cumbersome.

Thanks,

Zainul.

UCLA.

24 Aug 2010 . Edited: 24 Aug 2010

I'd like to add my voice to this too.

It seems totally alien to me not to be developing in a version controlled environment, the slightly odd IDE in a webbrowser's fine, it's just another IDE after all and is comparitively easy to deal with, but no RCS isn't fun. :(

TBH even if it was entirely internal to the mbed site I'd be happier, at least then I could see what I'd been doing, and revert changes etc...

24 Aug 2010

Agreed.

The irony is that we are working in a version controlled environment - it's just that we have no direct access to the svn repository.

I really miss having some form of RCS; I find it just as valuable when developing on my own as I do when working in a team.