Another suggestion: Standardize platform page

20 Feb 2014

You should read my suggestions, they are really good :(

Anyway, click on platform page, and what you see is a nice list of platforms (while everyone is wondering why the LPC11u35 isn't there, but that is another story).

All NXP and Freescale ones use (almost) the same layout, but ST ones are completely different. If you make it a standard list in the backend you have to fill in when making a new target, then it is clearer, and you could add more search options. So based from NXP/Freescale ones:

• Cortex type - speed
  • Flash - RAM memory (possibly EEPROM)
  • Extra relevant data (I would say one point, with maximum of two lines, but you could also do more). For example for the wifi dipcortex it could be added that it has wifi onboard.

Then it is probably pretty straight forward to add more filters which are more relevant than only vendor. For example I want some processing power, so I only want to see all cortex M3s and M4s with at least 72MHz speed. And for whatever reason I use alot of flash, so also at least 300kB flash.

And more options could also be included. As example, I really enjoy off-grid headers, so I want only those who got an arduino pinout.

Imo the NXP and Freescale ones are already quite nice, but the new ST ones really don't make clear what they can do. And nice it has ST-Link debugger, but others have CMSIS-DAP debuggers.

20 Feb 2014

Hi Erik,

Thanks for your suggestions. The platforms pages are actually evolving quite rapidly right now, and we already plan to add more filters and more fields for specifying the features you mentioned in a consistent way.

We have just added purchasing information links to (almost) all of the platforms, and updated the features summary for the Nucleo boards, almost exactly in line with your suggestions!

Dan

20 Feb 2014

Erik - wrote:

I want only those who got an arduino pinout.

https://mbed.org/platforms/?form-factor=5

How's that?

Filtering based on range values, such as minimum or maximum speed or flash is planned for the future.

We're also looking into the possibility of having price data so platforms can be filtered and sorted by price, we've not decided yet on the best way to do that.

Thanks

Steve

20 Feb 2014

Nice :). Price data would also be nice indeed, but I can see how that might also give issues (not in the least keeping them up to date).

And I thought you invented a new word with 'breadboardable', but apparantly others did it first.

Anyway, I approve:

http://transascity.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Seal-of-approval.jpg

20 Feb 2014

Erik - wrote:

...while everyone is wondering why the LPC11u35 isn't there, but that is another story...

Here it is, I found it!!! :P Seriously though, why is it still hidden? It's even listed in the GitHub README.md...

20 Feb 2014

Price data would indeed be a pain to keep up to date, so we would look to pull that data in from an external source rather than tracking it ourselves.

In the same vein we're looking at adding more meta-data about the platforms by pulling that information in from other databases within ARM.

These things take a bit more time and consideration but we realise that as the list of supported mbed platforms grows this data will be essential to help people find the right platform for their project.

Steve

06 Mar 2014

I wonder for price data maybe you could do the following.

1. Vendors can register with a special account that allows them to submit a {link,price} tuple to some webservice API.
  2. The lowest price and link show up against the product (with a link to the full vendor price list)

You could regionalise the vendor prices.

If anyone abuses the vendor pricing API, for example listing a product at a price they don't sell it at (unless accidentally), then they get a warning. If they get three warnings then they just get placed at the bottom of the price list with a flag that says "variable price" or something.

Ashley