Online editor issue with Firefox v25.0?

30 Oct 2013

I've be running the mBed online editor in Firefox v24 without issue. Firefox just updated to v25.

With FF v25, when entering a literal '/' in the editor window, the '/' character is not displayed. I tried the same thing running in IE 10 and it works fine.

This makes it difficult to enter comments

// comment...
/* comment... */

or a literal '/' with FF v25. The Ctrl-/ shortcut does work properly. This may possibly be a conflict with FF using the '/' key as a shortcut for Quick Find? Has anyone else run into this issue?

I tested this on 2 different PC's with the same results. I'm running Win 7 Home.

01 Nov 2013

Hi David

Thank you for the 'Ctrl-/' (and 'Ctrl-Shift-/' for /*......*/ type comments) I didn't know about those :-)

I thought I must be losing my marbles, at least it's not just me then :rolleyes: Has been like this for the last 2 days too and coincided with the latest Firefox Version 25 update, it's sooo infuriating :-( I'm using Kubuntu 13.04 (Raring Ringtail) so it's not a Windoze only problem, almost certainly something Firefox have done so not an excuse to move to Saucy Slamander yet (phew!). If I don't find anything soon I may have to rollback to version 24.

I'll try to remember to post back if I find a 'fix' for the problem. Google... Google! I need you now.... Sophie x

07 Nov 2013

Hi All,

This problem also occurs on my work laptop which has Windows 7 so 2 completely different environments for me too! I haven't found a solution to this other than rolling back to version 24 of Firefox at home (not an option for my work laptop which is kindly 'managed' for me by Business Support (IT to you and me) department and FF25 has passed their qualification criteria so no going back - thanks BS dept.)

I imagine many people are using version 25 now, how are you coping? Has anyone found a solution other than using 'Ctrl-/' and 'Ctrl-Shift-/' shortcuts which aren't so convenient for adding short comments at the end of a line? Or do you simply not put comments in your code?

Sophie x

07 Nov 2013

Hi Sophie,

I too am wondering what others are doing about this issue. I haven't seen any official response from mBed development team.

I also posted this issue on the Questions area of mBed.org. See https://mbed.org/questions/1940/Online-editor-issue-with-Firefox-v250/. There, Gyozo posted a workaround that seems to work for me. Try using the '/' key on the numeric keypad. Not the best solution, but it works OK until a fix is implemented.

-deleted-
07 Nov 2013

Hi All,

This is now fixed against the live Compiler. Looks like an old Firefox workaround was conflicting with FF25.

Thanks for reporting this and please let us know if you spot any other issue.

Cheers,
Mihail

08 Nov 2013

Mihail,

Thanks!

David

11 Nov 2013

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/smile.gif Hooray, Thank you Mihail and the rest of the mbed team for fixing it http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/smile.gif.

Thanks too to David and Gyozo, I hadn't thought to use the '/' key on the numeric keypad.

Sophie x