Lack of code tags usage

01 Mar 2013

I don't think I really have to argue that the lack of code tags in many posts is really irritating. The fact that a wiki syntax is used here instead of BB-code also doesn't exactly help with that, not only does it mean the layout of code without code tags is much worse with wiki-syntax than with bb-code, you also can't copy-paste it since for example commented lines of code are made italic.

On the forums I can at least use the quote button to see the original format, but that also isn't possible with questions.

It would help alot if you went to BB-code instead of wiki-syntax, although I do understand why you use wiki-syntax. So my plan B is, can you simply give a warning when people post code, but haven't included code tags. You could for example do a search on include "mbed.h" in a post, since that is a fairly good giveaway they are posting code. Although I have no idea how hard it is to implement that.

Maybe easier: add ability to quote a question, or view the original source of the question. Then at least in the cases where the code is made completely unreadable by the wiki-syntax we can still get it without having to request the poster to add code tags first.

01 Mar 2013

Another option: allow other users to edit the questions, like on StackOverflow.