Online IDE - Regression in OSX Safari?

17 Oct 2012

Hello,

The online IDE behaviour seems to have regressed at some point in the last week or two. I'm using Safari on OSX. The scroll position is now jumping about - say less than a page's worth of code at a time, and the compiler output window subframe at the bottom of the coding window wasn't expanding / minimising properly leading to the compiler output text drawing over the top of the full code view. The two issues could be related, both seem to do with vertical windowing.

I switched to Chrome and haven't seen the issue there, and I'm writing this up a few days after switching - so this is more a FYI, apologies if its been fixed in the meantime.

Toby

-deleted-
17 Oct 2012

Hi,

Could you please give us more details so we can reproduce the issue:

• Are you using the Editor in fullscreen mode?
  • Is this faulty behavior present all the time or it occurs when you switch fullscreen?
  • What's the exact version of your Safari browser?

Thanks in advance.

Mihail

21 Oct 2012

Are you using the Editor in fullscreen mode?

No. Not as in OSX / Safari's fullscreen mode. I do use the 'expand' feature sometimes.

Is this faulty behavior present all the time or it occurs when you switch fullscreen?

I saw it over a few different sessions of use over a few days, until I buckled and switched to Chrome.

What's the exact version of your Safari browser?

Version 6.0.1 (8536.26.14) on OSX 10.8.2

-deleted-
22 Oct 2012

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed response.
I'd like to invite you to try a private beta version of the mbed Compiler with a possible fix for the issue.
Please let me know if you are interested and I'll send you the details.

Mihail

22 Oct 2012

For sure. I've got some coding to do over the next few days, happy to try.

26 Oct 2012

Quick update, with the beta I haven't seen the messed up rendering bug, but I am still seeing an issue about vertical scrolling / scroll position. Will have to post steps to reproduce after the weekend.

01 Nov 2012

Another quick update - There is definitely a residual a scroll position issue, but its not a Safari specific regression: I'm seeing the same thing coding between Chrome on Win7 and Safari on OSX 10.8. I haven't got instructions to reproduce yet juggling too many balls at the moment but in the general process of coding you'll scroll around, click to insert the cursor at some point in the text, and suddenly see the page jump to somewhere quite different. Works fine next time.

09 Nov 2012

@Toby Harris I can confirm I am having the same problem with the IDE Compiler. Especially when switching the keyboard focus back from Terminal I/O to the MBED Compiler editor.

Using Safari Version 5.1.7 (6534.57.2) with Mac OS 10.6.8

-deleted-
09 Nov 2012

Hi,

Switching the browser focus with another app and then back to the browser is a reliable way to reproduce it. Thanks for the clue on how to identify the issue.

Mihail

-deleted-
12 Nov 2012

Hi again,

We've just updated the Compiler on beta mode with a fix for the faulty/jumpy behavior when the Compiler regains focus.

Please, let us know if you're experiencing any issues.

Thanks in advance.

Mihail