online compiler in portrait display

28 Aug 2012

I have a tabletpc (Asus EP121 Windows Seven). If I use the online compiler in portrait mode, in zoom 75% the display is well drawn, but not with zoom 100% or above.

Zoom 75 /media/uploads/thierryb/compilerzoom75.png

Zoom 100 /media/uploads/thierryb/compilerzoom100.png

-deleted-
31 Aug 2012

Hi,

The minimum resolution at which the Compiler can fit its UI elements is 1024 pixels (effectively 990 without the scrollbars).
By reducing the zoom level to 75%, the browser reports a higher virtual resolution and this is the reason it fits precisely for your device.
By restoring the zoom level to 100%, the browser reports the actual screen space available for the web content (in that case 799x1163 pixels), which isn't sufficient for the Compiler to fit its UI elements, otherwise vertical scrolling will occur.
We've added a logic in the Compiler that forces sizing for Landscape mode, which would prevent the vertical scrolling if the device is physically rotated to Landscape mode as well.

I'm uncertain whether the device and Windows 7 support dynamic rotation to Landscape mode and I'd be grateful if you let me know.
If that's not possible, we could come up with workaround.

Thanks in advance.

Mihail

31 Aug 2012

Why you put this constraint, let it draw in portrait, even if the width is smaller. Using a tablet in portrait is useful if you want to see more lines. And if my issue is to see the ends of the lines, I can use the scrolling bar or switch to landscape.

As you can see, at present time, you force the display in landscape on a tablet which is in portrait orientation, and the result is worth.

If you want you can zoom the layout, but keep the same character size.

Anyway, thanks for your answer.