Mouse click on editor window problem. Windows7 IE8, IE9

12 Jul 2011

Hi,

A Mouse click on the lower area of the editor window problem on IE8, IE9 Windows7. A mouse click results the insert position to move one or two lines lower than exactly clicked.

It does not happen on the upper area click( near window title ). It happens when clicking on the lower area of the editow window.

For example,

• Click on line 1 selects line 1.
  • Click on line 50 selects line 50 or line 51.
  • Click on line 100 selects line 101 or line 102.

When I use my monitor in virtical mode, the monitor can display more than 100 lines and make me easy to view many lines. There is no problem in editing code in the upper area, but it is difficult to select the code almost at bottom of the editor area with a mouse click.

Of cource I am not zooming window. I only changed my display to virtical mode ( 1600 x 1920 ) and maximized the window, but this problem happens in normal display usage( horizontal ) too.

Google Chrome has no problem. Is it a Japanese issue? How about in English?

Regards,

12 Jul 2011

I had this when I was using IE8 (at work, only browser allowed). The problem has disappeared recently though, I don't remember when.

12 Jul 2011

Hi Koichi,

Some testing on our Win7/IE8 machine with vertical monitor didn't immediately show the problem (although it did give an interesting perspective on how some people are using the IDE!), so I will file a ticket to investigate further.

If you could confirm the exact IE versions you are testing, any changed settings or plugins (language, add-ons, accessibility settings) pro, and that this is visible with a fresh restart of the compiler, rather than something that emerges after usage, that would be really helpful in us trying to track this down. Maybe the font is non-standard?

If anyone else is seeing this problem and can provide further input, please add it here.

Thanks! Simon

12 Jul 2011

Hi, Tomas. Thank you for reply.

I was using IE8 and updated to IE9 this morning, but the problem still remains also in the beta mode. So, I switched the browser to Google Chrome and now it works fine.

12 Jul 2011

Hi Simon, Thank you for your reply.

Now I find another difference between IE9 and Google Chrome. There is a defference in the treatment of horizontal axis of mouse clicking, not only in virtical axis!

In the code pane, IE9 moves insert position "after" the charactor that is clicked. Google Crome moves insert position "before" the charactor that is clicked. Don't you think this is a big hint ?

The compiler window in IE9 and Google Crome look perfectly the same except the title bar and tab around parts. Exactly the same fonts, same size, same charactor position.

I think it is not a virtical monitor issue. When I use monitor horizontaly this problem still exists. Click on line 48 resluts in line 49 selecting. I can adjust mouse clicking if the misplacement is only one line, but when I use my monitor virtically the misplacement increases to almost two lines at the bottom of the code pane.

I changed nothing for IE9 ( I think. It is installed this morning ) This phenomenon is visible with a fresh restart of the computer and the compiler. I tried another desktop theme, enabling and disabling of menu-bar, favorite-bar, command-bar, status-bar, reset zooming, etc, but there is no effect.

My system is ... Windows7 Professional 64bit ver. 6.1.7601 SP1 build 7601 (Japanese) and IE9 ver. 9.0.8112.16421

Thank you again for reading my post ! Koichi Shibata

06 Nov 2011

I am seeing the same problem only in the editor window. Clicking works fine on the left when selecting source files etc but will not work when selecting code or even in the "error" window...(although I never get errors)

Anyway.

I am running a XP 32bit machine that is up to date in terms of service packs. I am also running Chrome. This problem only seems to appear in MBED editor, I tried this in my Rowley and Visual editors and clicking works as expected.

Hopefully there will be a fix soon...its amazingly frustrating for some reason. You click and then click and then click....hahaha! I guess its not that bad......