Continuous integration (CI) testing
Continuous integration (CI) testing is an integral part of the Mbed OS contribution workflow. CI testing refers mainly to automatic testing for pull requests.
Mbed OS uses Github Actions as the primary automatic testing and checking run environment.
The configuration is located in the github/workflows/basic_checks.yml file in the Mbed OS root directory.
- coding-style - Checks code style using astyle.
- docs_check - Doxygen, naming and spelling checks:
- Asserts the Doxygen build produces no warnings.
- Asserts all binary libraries are named correctly.
- Asserts all assembler files are named correctly.
- licence-check - Checks that there is only a permissive license in the files, including SPDX identifier.
- include-check - Including mbed.h within Mbed OS is not allowed.
- cmake-checks - Build unittests with mbed tools.
- frozen-tools-check - Old build tools were frozen and we verify they keep unchanged.
We use Jenkins as an internal testing and checking environment. We execute tests that have special requirements for the execution environment in our internal Jenkins. In most cases, we publish test logs.
How it works:
- Jenkins uses a scripted pipeline syntax.
- Jenkins scripts are not publicly available. There is a Jenkinsfile in the Mbed OS root folder, but that is just a trigger for tests.
- Jenkins selects required tests dynamically based on the code changes. For example, no tests execute if only markdown (.md) files change.
- Jenkins first runs a small number of tests to provide fast feedback, and then it runs additional tests.
- continuous-integration/jenkins/pr-head - Jenkins main pipeline script execution status.
- jenkins-ci/build-greentea-ARM - Builds Mbed OS tests with the ARM compiler. Related commands:
mbed test --compile -t <toolchain> -m <target>.
python -u mbed-os/tools/test/examples/examples.py compile <toolchain> --mcu <target>.
- jenkins-ci/build-greentea-GCC_ARM - Builds Mbed OS tests with GCC_ARM.
- jenkins-ci/build-cloud-example-ARM - Builds the cloud example with ARM.
- jenkins-ci/build-cloud-example-GCC_ARM - Builds the cloud example with GCC ARM.
- jenkins-ci/build-example-ARM - Builds supported examples with ARM.
- jenkins-ci/build-example-GCC_ARM - Builds supported examples with GCC ARM.
- jenkins-ci/cmake-cloud-example-ARM - CMake build for the cloud example with GCC ARM.
- jenkins-ci/cmake-cloud-example-GCC_ARM - CMake build for the cloud example with GCC ARM.
- jenkins-ci/cmake-example-ARM - Builds supported examples with CMake and ARM.
- jenkins-ci/cmake-example-GCC_ARM - Builds supported examples with CMake and GCC ARM.
- jenkins-ci/cloud-client-test - Tests the change with mbed-cloud-client using the mbed-cloud-client-example.
- jenkins-ci/greentea-test - Runs greentea tests.
python tools/build_release.py -p <target> -t <toolchain>.
- jenkins-ci/unittests - Runs unit tests.