What is Mbed Enabled?
The Arm® Mbed Enabled™ program aims to ensure that developers can use Mbed technologies (Mbed OS, Mbed Linux and others) across a range of qualified hardware. In order to achieve a consistent experience for developers, Mbed Enabled defines a set of functionality and performance requirements that the hardware and software support libraries must meet. This enables developers to rapidly evaluate, prototype and productize by focusing on the application code of their embedded device functionality regardless of their hardware of choice.
For Developers and Product Makers
- Identify hardware products which meet the latest Mbed technology requirements.
- Assurance that the hardware and relevant software comply with best practices for ease of development.
- Consistent experience and compatibility across Mbed Enabled products of the same program category.
- Confidence that the product is supported by hardware vendor and Mbed engineers.
- Provide transparency to both developers and hardware vendors about the technical requirements and supported features.
- Rapidly evaluate, prototype, and productize embedded solutions by abstracting the complexity of embedded development.
For Hardware Vendors
- Get your product designed in mass-production commercial solutions in a growing IoT market.
- Make your product known to the Mbed developers and Mbed ecosystem by having product-specific pages on the Mbed site with links to documentation, tutorials, and other materials.
- Clearly identify your product as ‘Mbed Enabled™’ by using the program's logo on your site, marketing material and products.
- Show your product at the Arm trade shows and the Arm IoT exhibition area at the Cambridge headquarters.
- Have the opportunity to feature as an Arm Mbed product case study and participate in Mbed marketing activities like blogs, social media, events and so on.
Focusing on evaluation and rapid prototyping, boards are development platforms that integrate microntrollers or modules with components to make a system that Mbed OS runs on. Most often bundled with a debug circuit and peripheral connection options.Mbed Enabled requirements for Boards
Hardware components extend the capabilities of microcontrollers, modules or boards, and include the associated software libraries for Mbed OS.Mbed Enabled requirements for Components
Hardware circuits and accompanying firmwares that is used for development, debug and testing software that runs on Arm based microcontrollers.Mbed Enabled requirements for Interfaces
Aiming at production, modules are pre-integrated certified hardware platforms that incorporate a microcontroller, connectivity, front-end, software and services needed at the heart of products. They can be used for prototyping as well when bundled with an Interface debug circuit.Mbed Enabled requirements for Modules
End-product that utilize Mbed technology in its creation (i.e. not a developer product).Mbed Enabled requirements for Products
Some program categories have classes to provide further classification of requirements and qualified products. For example, Boards and Modules can be classified as:
- Baseline - for ultra-constrained devices
- Advanced - constrained devices, usually offering some form of connectivity
- Pelion Device Ready - IoT mainstream for Arm Pelion Device Management
Please review each categories requirements page for further details on classes.
How to apply
Before applying you should determine the correct Mbed Enabled program category for your product and review the latest Mbed Enabled requirements for that program category.
You should then visit the How to Apply page containing detailed explanation about the Mbed Enabled process and also where to ship samples of your products.