testing RJ45 connector??

13 Sep 2011

Hey, im trying to get my Mbed to connect to the internet, but I'm failing in every way, now I'm beginning to doubt my connecter is working correctly..

It's a TE 1840761-1 magentic connecter that looks like this: http://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=showdoc&DocId=Customer+Drawing%7F1840761%7FB%7Fpdf%7FEnglish%7FENG_CD_1840761_B.pdf%7F1840761-1

and I have Connected the endpoint like this:

RD- -> RDN(2);

RD+ -> RDP(1);

TD- -> TDN(5);

TD+ -> TDP(6);

RCT and TCT has just ben cut...

Any thoughts on this is wrong, and why??

Tnx in advance..

13 Sep 2011

Hi having had a quick look at the data shet td+ and td- are reversed on your notes also if RCT and TCT are missing you cant get the 3.3v supply on the centre taps so you wont really get anywhere

is this connector a rescue from another board or new ?

if the pins are cut is the remains of the pins visible if so can you get a multimeter and check for continuity and if so, can you solder 2 links onto the pins and give that a try if that doesnt work try and find another connector

hope this is of some use Chris

13 Sep 2011

Hmm, ive got another one with all pins intact, any idea what number 7 is for?

14 Sep 2011

Steven,

Pin 7 should be connected to Ground (Mbed pin 1), along with the 2 shield 'tabs'.

14 Sep 2011

Fred Scipione wrote:

Steven,

Pin 7 should be connected to Ground (Mbed pin 1), along with the 2 shield 'tabs'.

I tried that, but it resulted in a direct short... :/

got it working thoug, connecting TCT and RCT to 3.3V with a 100nf capacitor to gnd made the trick...'

It's nice to be able to concentrate on programming now, TNX for the help...