First time on mbed

03 Nov 2010

I am little confusing how to run compiler. I did wrote some program to turn on led 1 to 4. But I could not get led 2 or 3 or 4 working. Most of time I get led1 working. Also when my internet went down. I could not use compiler to run mbed.  Is there a way I can run mbed with compiler without internet? Sometime I was on road or cabin and there is no internet. Maybe I am doing wrong with I could not run mbed without internet. I am very new on this. I wish there is more intruction how to use mbed with complier. The last time I use microproccor was 8085. Now I would like to learn how to use mbed.

Reid

03 Nov 2010

Hello Reid,

the basic idea behind mbed is using an online compiler without installing anything at your home MS Win or OS X Mac or GNU Linux PC.

But you will need an working internet connection, of course. This should not be a big deal at our modern time of communication :-)

Being  a fresh mbed starter the best way in doing the very first steps is looking arround in the mbed Handbook and Cookbook section (see toplinks).

There are a lot of simple starter examples available. Just try it and enjoy. You will see that you are going to "love" mbed sooner or later.

best regards

Franz

03 Nov 2010

I can'T tell you something about your LED issue, but the compiler is a real online-compiler. So there is no way to use the mbed-library in offline mode, as far as I know.

The compiler itself is the RVDS compiler by ARM: http://www.arm.com/products/tools/software-tools/rvds/index.php

So you can compile your own code with this compiler, but you are not able to use the mbed-library.

Frank