Power up and down at specified time

25 Apr 2011

I would like my mbed to automatically power up at 8:00 AM every morning and automatically power down at midnight every day. I have already set the correct time on the mbed, but I wasn't sure if there is a way to automatically power up or down the mbed. Does anyone have any suggestions?

25 Apr 2011

The LPC1768 supports Wake-On-Lan (WOL). It's fairly easy to program, but something will have to provide the "magic-packet" to wake it up at 8AM and your program will have to be coded to notice it's midnight and shut itself off.

I've only used this approach for designs using larger numbers of LPC1768s dedicated to specific functions to bring the required LPC1768s online as needed and power them off when they weren't necessary or wanted.

If your design is simple, e.g. one mbed, an easier way may be to just make a time aware power supply.

If you're powering through the USB port, you could program your PC to disable and enable the USB port the mbed is powered from at the required times (a cron type program). This works with some machines and USB ports, especially notebooks. However, some machines and USB ports provide vampire power unconditionally.

25 Apr 2011

Refer to page 62 of the LPC1768 user manual. It covers waking up the device using the Real Time Clock (RTC) alarm function from deep-sleep or power-down mode. Shouldn't be too hard to implement if you are happy with a small amount of current being used by the RTC, or by using a small external battery.

Rob