Prototype2product & Hardware issue

20 Feb 2011

Hello !

I am sorry, I am just engineering student, but I am asking me a good question !

I have already read the other topics about prototype2product.

But how can I know the type of electronic components I need to use in my PCB with just a ARM LCP17xx ?

For instance,

I have built an "hello world" witch use a I2C TMP102 (p28 / p27) and a LED (p20) I would like to design my PCB ! Ok for the ARM LCP17xx datasheet... But What kind of componant I need to introduce on mu PCB ? - A quartz (100 MHz) - A LED - A ARM - A TMP102

That is all ? It can be ready (if I connect fine that !) with just that an my program that I developed with mbed ?

Thank you !

20 Feb 2011

Hi Gerald,

Don't apologise for anything, your asking a good question.
The bare bones you will need for a basic 'make an LED flash' program is not much more than you mention. You will need the LPC1768, and a handful of decoupling capacitors, a crystal (not 100 Mhz - the LPC1768 has a number of clock doublers built into it, I think I used a 12 Mhz crystal), 2 small caps for the crystal, an LED and current limiting resistor, and maybe some voltage conditioning (depending on how you are going to power the circuit), and finally some pull up/down resistors for the ISP/JTAG and reset lines.

That is it really. Look at my notebook page here the 3rd picture down shows a PCB with the bare amount of components to get the LPC1768 running. The page also details how to use Flash Magic to download mbed programs onto the LPC1768.

Hope this helps you out.

21 Feb 2011

Hi Martrin

I think I will to test your mean to produce a PCB. But I have an other issue. I don't find the reference LCP17xx on RS component ! Can I use a 32-Bit MCU, ARM Cortex M3, 256KB Flash of ST ?

http://radiospares-fr.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=7141079 ? With Flashmagic, my program developed with mbed will be running on this ARM ?

Does the ref. LCP1768 exists ?

Thank !

21 Feb 2011

Hi Gerald,

You will not be able to use your mbed code with the micro you suggest above. Also I think that the Flash magic tool is only compatible with micros produced by NXP (like the LCP1768). Remember ARM only design the cores - other companies (like NXP) have to actually build the micros.

Try Farnell, the LCP1768 can be brought here and it is easy to set up an account with them.

Martin

28 Feb 2011

Hi Gerald,

Have you looked at the reference schematic ? The schematic of both mbed & LPCXpresso are available for download. If you haven't looked at it, I suggest you start with that. I find Digikey is the best place to buy components for prototyping. Their shipping cost is lowest & fastest. Their online component search is the best I have seen so far.

Hoan

28 Feb 2011

Hi !

My know how to prototype with mbed (how to use a usb jack or i2c sensors, ,for e.g.). My question was about a mean to produce a PCB. I have started to use Eagle and the special library.

01 Mar 2011

I though you wanted to make your own LPC17xx processor board. Now I am not sure what exactly that you to make, a base board for the mbed ? Or a tool to make PCB. Eagle is a good tool and it's also free for personal use. It is also the most popular tool used by electronic hobbyists.

01 Mar 2011

I just would like to develop a PCB with a ARM LCP17xx (about 9 €). My issue was about the component I need to add to run my project. But, if I understand the lasted posts, I needn't add any component other that on my labdec !

01 Mar 2011

I understand now. The bare minimum is as Martin said. I would suggest adding a DC/DC converter so you can take power input other than 3.3V. Something like the mbed from 5V-12V. A decoupling capacitor near every power pin on LPC.