Serial Non-ASCII data stream does not generate interrupt.

25 Jan 2011

Hello:

I am attempting to bring data in from a GPS corrections radio into the MBED via serial and on each Serial Rx Interrupt, take the data received and transmit it out via the CAN bus.

I am using the standard API suggested in the handbook and it works great for all ASCII characters of the data stream however it will not work at all for the non-ASCII data. The majority of the information provided in RTCA corrections is binary.

This has been verified by placing "printf" statements in the Rx interrupt indicating when it has been triggered. (I have verified the code working correctly with a normal NMEA stream out of a Garmin and it works fine)

It appears that all of the ASCII data gets through, is validated at a lower level and an interrupt is generated so that I can read the data. All of the non-ASCII data is identified at garbage and and interrupt is not generated. (This is my theory anyway)

Is there any tweaking to the API that would allow interrupts to be generated on "non-ASCII" data? I think that this is my problem.

Thanks for any suggestions.