Urgent - Online compiler keeps timing out!

07 Jan 2015

I've been having this problem for a while now and it seems to be getting worse:

I have a large project for the LPC1768. Over the last 6 months, the online compiler has kept timing out whenever I compile it. The last time I worked on this project, about 3 months ago, I'd get the error message "The build system task timed out" twice, and then the project would compile successfully on the third attempt. Today I've made some minor modifications to the code and now I just get repeated timeouts and can't compile the project at all.

This problem was repeated with Firefox, Opera and Internet Explorer so it isn't my browser. It's been repeated at 3 different locations so it isn't my internet connection. It's been repeated on two PCs and one laptop, so it isn't my computer.

Please help!

/media/uploads/timbobazza/timeout.png

18 Jan 2015

I have the same problem in all projects

18 Jan 2015

Just started happening to me about 10 minutes ago, nothing is compiling.

-deleted-
18 Jan 2015

Hi All,

First, thank you for reporting this and apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused.

We've identified the issue and then took measures to prevent it in the future on the build system side of things. We'd like to investigate the issue further with the mbed SDK team and discuss with third parties the backend compiler side of things.

A very specific combination between source code, mbed SDK library and target platform, may cause the backend compiler to compile a single source file for over 15 minutes and eat gigabytes of RAM. Over time, while retrying to compile this, the hanging compile processes would stack up and at some point the server kernel would shutdown all compile services to free memory. There are various protection mechanisms on the mbed backend that prevent different DoS attacks and we strongly believe that wasn't a case of a DoS attack, and neither was done on purpose to harm the mbed services.

Once again thanks for reporting this and please let us know if you experience any regressions with the mbed ecosystem.

Cheers,
Mihail

21 Jan 2015

Hi Mihail,

I'm having the same problem again today. I've spent the whole afternoon trying to compile the same project and keep getting "Build system timed out" or "invalid response".

Please help!

Tim

22 Jan 2015

I can't even open my projects now. Whenever I click on a project I get the message: "An internal error occurred. Please contact support and describe how you get this message."

-deleted-
22 Jan 2015

Hi Tim,

There was a problem with our infrastructure which is now fixed. Can you please confirm whether the program opens successfully?

Thanks, Mihail

22 Jan 2015

Hi Mihail,

The program opens now but still doesn't compile. I'm mostly getting "The build system did not finish successfully", but also "The build system task timed out" and "Invalid response". Are you able to access my account? The project is called IrisenseProducts_v2.

Thanks Tim

-deleted-
22 Jan 2015

The program you provided causes armcc to crash with the following error:

Compile: main.cpp
[Warning] spk_utils.h@302:  #1-D: last line of file ends without a newline
[Warning] spk_mRotaryEncoder.h@64:  #1-D: last line of file ends without a newline
[Warning] spk_oled_gfx.h@134:  #1-D: last line of file ends without a newline
[Warning] spk_settings.h@455:  #1-D: last line of file ends without a newline
[Warning] DMX.h@108:  #1-D: last line of file ends without a newline
[Warning] filter.h@24:  #1-D: last line of file ends without a newline
[Warning] main.cpp@2073:  #1-D: last line of file ends without a newline
[ERROR] "no source": Warning:  #3036-D: "C:\Program Files\ARM\include" was specified as both a system and non-system include directory -- the non-system entry will be ignored
"\TheITF\sdk\test-compile\SPK-DVIMXR_2\spk_utils.h", line 302: Warning:  #1-D: last line of file ends without a newline
"\TheITF\sdk\test-compile\SPK-DVIMXR_2\spk_mRotaryEncoder.h", line 64: Warning:  #1-D: last line of file ends without a newline
"\TheITF\sdk\test-compile\SPK-DVIMXR_2\spk_oled_gfx.h", line 134: Warning:  #1-D: last line of file ends without a newline
"\TheITF\sdk\test-compile\SPK-DVIMXR_2\spk_settings.h", line 455: Warning:  #1-D: last line of file ends without a newline
"\TheITF\sdk\test-compile\SPK-DVIMXR_2\DMX\DMX.h", line 108: Warning:  #1-D: last line of file ends without a newline
"\TheITF\sdk\test-compile\SPK-DVIMXR_2\filter\filter.h", line 24: Warning:  #1-D: last line of file ends without a newline
"\TheITF\sdk\test-compile\SPK-DVIMXR_2\main.cpp", line 2073: Warning:  #1-D: last line of file ends without a newline
Internal fault: [0x44288b:5050041] in _Z30troubleshootingMenuEDIDHandlerib
Please contact your supplier.

I'd try to contact the team that develops armcc, though I can't promise anything at this stage.

Thanks a lot for the valueable report and feedback on this.

Cheers,
Mihail

23 Jan 2015

Hi Mihail,

Please let me know as soon the team has sorted this, as I am waiting to ship products.

Thanks Tim

02 Feb 2015

Any news?

17 Feb 2015

Tim, is this still valid?

17 Feb 2015

Hi Martin,

I still can't compile the project mentioned above, and get repeated timeouts with "The build system did not finish successfully", "The build system task timed out" or "Invalid response". I have had to buy Keil since my last post as I had products to ship and wasn't getting anywhere on here. The project compiles fine with Keil, but I would still like to get things working with the online compiler.

Tim

17 Feb 2015

Tim, have you tried to reproduce this with the workspace tools in the mbed github repository? DId you export the same project to your uVision and it worked? Using exporters in the online IDE? What version of uvision do you have?

At least you overcome this, and was able to continue developing. HAve you considered switching to gcc arm ?