Editor is slow when editing comments...

24 Apr 2014

Hi friends,

when I create a comment, and type within the comment tags, a bussy icon appears after each key press, and new keys entered are lost. I have to wait 5 to 10 seconds per key. If I remove the comment tags (/* or slash-slash) it works normal, so I have to add the comment tags at last. Is this normal? Or can it be avoided? I do use Firefox on Linux.

Regards, Jack.

24 Apr 2014

So now, I get the bussy icon taking almost for ever, the source is only about 120 lines in total. Because of all the waiting during editing, I barely can use the online editor/compiler. Do I need to look for off-line solution now?

24 Apr 2014

I found the solution, I now use an off-line editor (Kate). From there I paste my source in the on-line editor, then compile. I got rid of of some other annoyances in the on-line editor as well.

25 Apr 2014

Could you provide some details? What browser version and Linux version are you having this problem with? Anything else unique about your computing environment?

28 Apr 2014

Hi Sam,

thank you very much for responding!

Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon: Linux pc01 3.11.0-12-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 9 16:20:46 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Firefox 24.0

I checked the router and DNS addresses on the router and PC, they are fine, everything else seems fast. I have no clue, yet.

Note, I'm new to mbed, so I can't say if editing ever worked fine. So the problem is that one moment I can type/edit a line with no problem, then it it responds with a busy icon after very character I type, where I have to wait 10 to 30 seconds, before I can type the next character. No characters that I typed during waiting are buffered, they are just lost. Once it is like this, typing a short line may take 10 minutes, I the use a local editor with copy and paste method. It recovers from being slowly, but just for a short time.

Any help is much appreciated!

I'm going install Chrome, and see how that works...

Regards, Jack.

28 Apr 2014

I found this: the problem with Firefox starts just after typing Ctrl-S to save the source. If I use the save button, the problem does not happen. In Chrome the problem isn't there at all, however, when I save the compiled file to the mbed, it seems just keep the old file, for some reason.

28 Apr 2014

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Do you have any plugins installed for Firefox? If so try to disable all and let me know if the problem still exists. I don't have Mint on a machine at the moment but will try to reproduce on Ubuntu in the meanwhile. Firefox on Windows doesn't exhibit the problem

29 Apr 2014

I tried to disable all add-ons and plugins, no luck. The delay-problem can be solved by pressing the save or compile button. Pressing the compile button wil save first, if needed. I just should not type Ctrl-S, as I'm used to... :-)

29 Apr 2014

Just to let you know, two updates about this: 1. I upgraded Firefox from 24.0 to 29.0, that didn't change anything on the behavior. 2. I noticed after I type Ctrl-S, the document gets saved and the 'Save' buttons become grayed out (disabled) as expected. When I then type, the buttons become enabled, the busy icon appears, after which the buttons become grayed out again. So, after every typed character, the documents gets saved obviously, which causes the delays. Pressing any other button, say 'New' for example, and click the pop-up window away, solves the strange behavior. I can work with the on-line solution, using the buttons to compile (and save), instead of typing Ctrl-S.

30 Apr 2014

I was able to reproduce on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Firefox. We'll have a look at this but looks like you found a few workarounds in the meantime.

30 Apr 2014

Hi Sam,

thank you very much! I'm glad you could reproduce it, and a fix will be welcome anyway. :-)

Regards, Jack.