Bug Fixes & LPC11U35 Support for USBDevice Library

21 Jan 2014

I've submitted a pull request on the official USBDevice library in order to add support for the EA LPC11U35 QuickStart Board, and correct a few long standing bugs that have been driving me nuts. I also added pin muxing code for PIO0_3 on the LPC11U35 which allows the USB hardware to automatically connect and disconnect from the host when the cable is inserted and removed. I wasn't sure if PIO0_3 was wired for this on the LPC11U24 mbed board, so I made that part conditional. The pull request should address the following 3 issues:

21 Jan 2014

FYI, while I am sure they are going to proof me wrong in this case, in general it is alot faster to submit a pull request to github. If you make it with the online compiler it needs some copy pasting, but they are generally accepted within a few days max. While the pull request here generally take a long time.

21 Jan 2014

Hmm... I wasn't aware of this, what's the procedure for submitting a pull request on Github? I also created a pull request on the mbed-rtos library that adds support for the LPC11U35.

21 Jan 2014

I believe there is somewhere a small document how it goes, although that is only the official mbed part and not the github part.

Summary (from someone who isn't really into github and what you can do with it):

Make a github account, fork the mbed library: https://github.com/mbedmicro/mbed

I installed the github windows desktop client, limitted in what it can do, enough for me. If you login it should download the library (maybe you need to press some buttons, bit ago for me I had to download a new fork).

You got your changes in the online compiler. Open the one from github in explorer. If it is limitted changes I just copy paste it (a proper editor like notepad++ or ultraedit is needed for that route). Otherwise just export it from the online compiler, and copy the relevant files/folders.

Commit it in the github client. This also gives you a list of changes. Since the previous method isn't the most secure method to do it, it is advisable to really check if they are correct.

Then on the github site you can make a pull request. On the mbed site you need to have signed the contributors agreement http://mbed.org/contributor_agreement/, and especially with your first pull request it is handy to link your mbed account.

21 Jan 2014

Ok, thanks for the info, I'll have to look into this...

23 Jan 2014

Just created a pull request on GitHub. Thanks for the tip!

23 Jan 2014

And I see it was already accepted + uploaded to the repository on the site here :) (I guess they have a script for it).

23 Jan 2014

Wow that was quick! I'll have to remember to submit all of my bug fixes through GitHub, they're actually noticed! :D

23 Jan 2014

Yep, while I really think they could handle some things like pull requests here better (even if they only write down you should do it via github), pull requests via github are really an efficient method, no complaints at all about how fast they handle those.

23 Jan 2014

So... Can I delete my fork now, or do I have to keep it around?

23 Jan 2014

You mean on github? You can delete it (also on mbed site). It is now integrated in the main fork.

Since I cannot sync my own fork with the main fork without using the command line, that is also my own lazy method to update: I delete my fork and make a new one.

24 Jan 2014

Cool, thanks.