Using mbed natively with OSX lion never completes binary downloads

21 Oct 2011

Hi,

If I use the compiler to download to my mbed target through my browser on OSX Lion, the download never completes. Any ideas, guys?

Alex

21 Oct 2011

a bit more info about the problem.

Lion initiates the download, post-fixing the file name with .download. I see the mbed flashing to say it's receiving the download, and then the flashing stops when I presume the download has completed. however, if I then go into the mbed flash drive under Finder, the .download post-fix is still there, and the icon for the file is the typical download icon, but with a 99% completed blue download bar across the bottom of it.

I have tried changing the file name to remove the .download post-fix, but to no avail. The mbed executes nothing, almost as if the file isn't recognised.

I have checked the size of the binary image file, and it is quite small - 84KB.

21 Oct 2011

Hmmm... hello again....

So, it seems that there is a slightly odd thing going on here.

I can go into the MBED drive I downloaded the binary to, and double click the - what seems to be the never-completing - .download version of the .bin file, and OSX does a bit of magic, and after a second the .bin appears as you'd expect.

I then tried compiling the binary again and saving it to my Desktop, and OSX Lion completed the download properly (leaving the file as a normal .bin).

The obvious workarounds open to me - neither of which sit well - are to either:

a) after compiling, find the binary on the MBED, double click it in-situ, and wait for Lion to sort it out b) download it to the Mac somewhere and then copy the resulting binary to the MBED

A bit poop to be honest.

Is this an issue with OSX Lion (I suspect so, but could someone confirm??), or is it something up with the mbed? And do any of you guys know enough about Macs to help me find a solution that means I can go back to just Compile->push button on top (without having to look at my desktop/the mbed)???

Thanks,

ALex