flash went wrong (corrupted when full)

02 Apr 2010

A story of panic changing to success:

I was uploading new code to my mbed from my Mac when the fling system complained that the disc was full. I was only using flash memory for the binary, not to write files from mbed. If you don't delete the old downloads the Mac renames new downloads with -20, -21 etc. so I must have filled the flash memory on the mbed after many recompiles of the same program. The last upload must have a corrupted file - greyed out - and there was then zero space on flash, and it wouldnt let me create any free space even though I could delete some files. I tried tricks like holding the reset down while plugging in the mbed with no success. I managed to copy the mbed.htm file to the Mac, and then I used the Mac disk utility to try and repair the drive. However, this didnt work, so I erased the disk and uploaded the saved mbed.htm file. Now I have space on the disc and could upload my new binary. At first it didnt work - the processor wouldnt seem to boot. However, I then found I had two copies of mbed on my Mac - one with no name. I renamed the no name one to mbed and found it didnt have the binary file  on it that I thought I had just uploaded. However, I was able to upload the file OK this time and it booted OK. Phew!!

Tony

04 Oct 2011

I had a similar problem: a) The file system was full and corrupted. b) I could not delete or add file into it.

What I did: a) Copy MBED.HTM into local hard disk. b) Reformat the flash using FAT file system. c) Copy MBED.HTM back into the flash.

It is now working.

17 Jun 2015

It never goes corrupt. There is just a hidden trash-bin directory which you also must remove all files from after you have deleted them. Don't format, just enter hidden directory....and deleted copy of thrashed files again.

That is why the format also solves the same problem... it removes the hidden trash-bin directory with files....

Best regards Johan