Install or upgrade
Mbed CLI 2 is a Python package called
mbed-tools, so you can install it with pip.
Tip: We recommend using a virtual environment to avoid Python dependency conflicts.
- Python 3.6 or newer. Install for Windows, Linux or macOS.
- Pip (if not included in your Python installation). Install for all operating systems.
- CMake. Install version 3.19.0 or newer for all operating systems.
- Ninja. Install version 1.0 or newer for all operating systems.
- One of the support toolchains listed in the build tools overview.
Pip requires some header files and static libraries. Install the Python development package to get them:
For example on Ubuntu:
``` sudo apt-get install python3-dev ```
Use pip to install:
To install the latest release:
python -m pip install mbed-tools
To install a specific version:
python -m pip install mbed-tools==<version number in major.minor.patch format>
To install a pre-release or development version:
python -m pip install mbed-tools --pre
Tip: On a Unix-like system, ensure that
~/.local/bin is accessible and in your path.
Use pip to upgrade your version:
python -m pip install mbed-tools --upgrade