Espotel LoRa Module
Espotel LoRa Module is a Wireless IoT LoRa™ enabled prototyping board and reference design for custom designed wireless sensors. It's a complete prototyping board solution for the SX1272 LoRa™ modem featuring an STM32F411RET6 microcontroller.
Table of Contents
The Espotel LoRa Module is an evaluation board for the Semtech SX1272 LoRa™ modem and is designed to be used with the ARM® mbed™ software ecosystem. The wide frequency range allows the module to operate in the 868 MHz and 915 MHz license free ISM bands.
At its heart is a powerful ARM® Cortex®-M4 and it is conveniently populated on a breakout module that allows for easy integration into existing designs.
- Simple IoT connectivity with incredible ranges of up to 15 km.
- Robust radio link in harsh environments.
The Espotel LoRa Module provides an affordable and flexible way for users to try out new ideas and supports easy debugging and programming with an external ST-LINK. The staggered arduino headers enable the Espotel LoRa Module to be used as Arduino shield and also to accept other Arduino shields.
- ARM® mbed™ IoT Device Platform
- Powerful ARM® 32-bit Cortex®-M4 CPU with FPU, Flash: 512kB, RAM: 128kB
- Semtech SX1272 Low Power RF Transceiver for 860-1020MHz with LoRa™ modem
- On-board detachable PCB antenna for 868 MHz
- Break-out module design for easy integration into existing applications
- High Sensitivity: down to -137 dBm
- LoRa™ bitrates of 0.24 – 37.5 kbps depending on bandwidth and spreading factor
- 127dB Dynamic Range RSSI
- FSK, GFSK, MSK, FMSK, LoRa™ DSSS and OOK modulation
- Multiple available interfaces (digital I/O, ADC, SPI, I2C and USART)
- Wide Supply Voltage Range: 1.8V-5.5V
- ARM® mbed™ platform
- Modulation: FSK, GFSK, MSK, FMSK, OOK and LoRa digital spread spectrum
- Frequency: 860 - 1020 MHz
- XBee and module versions for development and deployment
- Low power mode extends battery life
- digital I/O
Getting started with the Espotel LoRa Module¶
To start playing with the Espotel LoRa Module add the "Elmo-Terminal-App" program (link in section Example Programs) to your online compiler. Choose Espotel LoRa Module as platform and compile it. Connect the Nucleo SWD header to the Espotel LoRa Module SWD header as shown in the picture below and save the binary file directly to the Espotel LoRa Module.
Programming cable and power selection:
Alternative and advanced Espotel LoRa Module software upload procedures are described in detail in theEspotel LoRa Module Programming Guide
Elmo Terminal provides functionality to test Lora radio and access SX1272 chip registers delivered with Elmo board. This firmware allows the user to control the LoRa radio parameters (eg. frequency, bandwidth, spreading factor etc.) by entering console commands via serial terminal. Application also contains "Ping-Pong" and data transmission functionalities.
Example implementation of LoraWan specification based on IBM LoraWan in C (ver. 1.5) for Elmo board. Tested only with OTA activation (requires setting AppEui/ DevKey in main.cpp).
Espotel LoRa Module Pinout¶
General Board Overview¶
- STM32F411RE Microcontroller
- Semtech SX1272 LoRa Modem
- Espotel LoRa Module Programming Guide
- Espotel LoRa Module Reference Manual
How to buy¶
The Espotel LoRa device is discontinued.