De-registering mbed

04 Jun 2012

How can I de-register my mbed from my account so that another account can use it? Sorry if it had been asked already I only found references of using a board by multiple accounts.

04 Jun 2012

I can't help, but wanted to chime in because I have the same question and also found only the multiple account discussion. Hopefully a clear answer will come, but my impression is perhaps this is not allowed. I currently have three LPC1768 embedded in projects and quite likely will give one to a friend eventually. So I have wondered how to manage it so that they can get it registered and be able to download software updates compiled from their own account. I don't really need to keep all three, so it would be nice to be able to "transfer" them somehow.

Karl Lukacs wrote:

How can I de-register my mbed from my account so that another account can use it? Sorry if it had been asked already I only found references of using a board by multiple accounts.

04 Jun 2012

As far as I know you can use any account to compile code and download this code to any mbed. The restriction is that without special permission from mbed (multiple accounts) you can create only one new account per mbed. So when your friend already has an account (created using one of his own mbeds) you can give away your mbed and he can load his code onto that mbed. However, if he does not yet have an account then you need to give him an mbed that has not yet been used to create an account for yourself (allowing him to create a new one for himself) or you should also give him one of your accounts.

04 Jun 2012

The reason to give him one of my mbeds would be because he does not have his own, and I really don't need three. And I don't have any "educational" reasons to request multiple accounts so I would not have an account to give him with the mbed.

So it sounds like if I had used my wife's computer to set up one of the boards, that would have worked. I will have to remember to do that if I buy any more. Probably will have to do that when the time comes to transfer one to him. I could just "share" my one account I suppose, but prefer not to do that.

I do keep local copies of my project so there would not be much danger if he accidentally clobbered it, but it is hard enough for my to keep myself synchronized. I mostly work locally using emacs, and only make small code changes online. I do have to be careful to synchronize, keeping track of where the most recent changes are, but I still am really pleased with the online compiler environment. I just wish I could somehow transparently use emacs "online". Still, import and export work very well.

Thanks.

Wim Huiskamp wrote:

As far as I know you can use any account to compile code and download this code to any mbed. The restriction is that without special permission from mbed (multiple accounts) you can create only one new account per mbed. So when your friend already has an account (created using one of his own mbeds) you can give away your mbed and he can load his code onto that mbed. However, if he does not yet have an account then you need to give him an mbed that has not yet been used to create an account for yourself (allowing him to create a new one for himself) or you should also give him one of your accounts.

04 Jun 2012

Hi Karl, Chuck,

Just give support@mbed.org an email and we'll see what we can do! I'm sure we can get your friend/colleague up and running.

Thanks, Simon

04 Jun 2012

Thanks Simon, but I don't want to cause any extra effort at all, so I mostly wanted to confirm that there was no existing "automated" procedure. It won't hurt me to keep all three that I currently have and buy another for him when the project is ready to transfer to him. They certainly are nice little boards.

But many thanks for being willing to help out!

Chuck

Simon Ford wrote:

Hi Karl, Chuck,

Just give support@mbed.org an email and we'll see what we can do! I'm sure we can get your friend/colleague up and running.

Thanks, Simon

04 Jun 2012

The user has control of all account information except the log-in name. Assuming you signed up with a generic alias, or are otherwise willing to give up the log-in name, all that the user has to do is -

1. Delete all personal information from the profile, etc.
  2. Enter the bare minimum information for the new account holder (first name, last name, email address).
  3. Tell the new account holder the log-in name and password when you deliver the mbed.

The only support that might be useful from the mbed organization would be the abilities to a) change the log-in name and b) delete more account data (past projects, etc.).

04 Jun 2012

I might be missing something. I have 3 of the mbeds, and once I registered the first one, the next two automatically registered to the same account. So I don't think the profile can be used to separate one of the mbeds from the account. But I think Simon made things clear enough. When I buy one more, I will just register it using a different computer, pretty sure that will do the job. Thanks.

Fred Scipione wrote:

The user has control of all account information except the log-in name. Assuming you signed up with a generic alias, or are otherwise willing to give up the log-in name, all that the user has to do is -

1. Delete all personal information from the profile, etc.
  2. Enter the bare minimum information for the new account holder (first name, last name, email address).
  3. Tell the new account holder the log-in name and password when you deliver the mbed.

The only support that might be useful from the mbed organization would be the abilities to a) change the log-in name and b) delete more account data (past projects, etc.).

04 Jun 2012

Chuck, it seems you have created only one account sofar. Your mbed 2 and 3 will be recognised by the pc and you can download code from your account, but they have not yet been used to create a new account. You do that by clicking on the mbed.htm file that appears on the mbed memory stick. That file opens the browser and starts a sign on procedure. You can now create a clean account. However, this works only once for each mbed (unless mbed support gives you a special permission).. This sign on process is explained on the handbook page. So, the accountservers remember that an mbed has been used to create an account, but an account is not locked to be used with only one mbed, and an mbed is not locked for use with only one account.

04 Jun 2012

I certainly only created one account, for #1. When I bought #2 I was not sure of what to expect. I connected it and clicked on the mbed.htm file and it came right up, showing me the SN etc when I clicked on "More Info". It did not offer ""Sign Up" like the first one. Same for #3. So I figured they were automatically registered to the original account.

Hmm: I just now took all three mbeds to my wife's machine and all three come up with the Sign Up screen. I did #3 first and thought "ok, this is good, I can create individual accounts for each one". I checked #2 and same thing. But then with #1, it came up with the Sign Up screen also. So I am more confused now. Perhaps if I attempted to create an account for #1 on her machine it would complain that it was already registered.

If #1 had come up on her machine without the Sign Up screen, I would have felt like I had a handle on things. But as it is, none of them come up with Sign Up on my machine, and they all come up with Sign Up on her machine. I will have to try later to register one of the new ones to a new account on her machine and see what happens. But I will wait until I am closer to being ready to pass one of the projects on, in case it causes complications in using multiple mbeds on the same host machine. Since I archive locally, it probably would be ok.

Thanks!

Wim Huiskamp wrote:

Chuck, it seems you have created only one account sofar. Your mbed 2 and 3 will be recognised by the pc and you can download code from your account, but they have not yet been used to create a new account. You do that by clicking on the mbed.htm file that appears on the mbed memory stick. That file opens the browser and starts a sign on procedure. You can now create a clean account. However, this works only once for each mbed (unless mbed support gives you a special permission).. This sign on process is explained on the handbook page. So, the accountservers remember that an mbed has been used to create an account, but an account is not locked to be used with only one mbed, and an mbed is not locked for use with only one account.

06 Jun 2012

Simon,

As per your recommendation, I sent an email to support@mbed.org two days ago (#2707). I have not received any response yet.

Can you please look into it or let me know what else I am supposed to do to resolve this issue?

Thanks, Karl

Simon Ford wrote:

Hi Karl, Chuck,

Thanks, Simon

08 Jun 2012

Hi All,

I did make a few modifications to the handbook page about licenses, which I hope now sets things out clearly.

http://mbed.org/handbook/Licences

The essence is :

• Each board contains a license that can only be used once to register an account
  • Once you have an account, you can generate binaries that can be used on any mbed of the same type
  • If you buy multiple mbeds, you only need to use the license on one of them to create an account (unless you specifically want multiple accounts)

If I've missed any scenarios or use cases, please let me know!

Thanks, Chris

09 Jun 2012

Just give your friend mbed #2 or #3, and (s)he will be all set to use it to make a new account.

09 Jun 2012

Yep, I have figured that should be the case based on previous comments and the results when I connected each of them on my wife's machine. I am still a bit confused by the fact that even #1, when connected on her machine, offers me the chance to register. My guess is that if I did attempt to register it, the process would eventually tell me it was already registered. I might try that eventually just to see what happens. I probably will create the account for my friend, using my wife's machine (since none of them offer me the chance to register on my machine) before sending it to him, and then turn that account over to him.

Thanks.

Gary Giddings wrote:

Just give your friend mbed #2 or #3, and (s)he will be all set to use it to make a new account.

09 Jun 2012

On your machine, you are already logged in (and remembered), so no login is needed there.

On your wife's machine, you are not known and not remembered, so you are asked to login there.

The mbed's htm file has little to do with anything, only taking you to the Login screen, where you can login manually, or get logged in automatically (when rembered).