Control home lighting through Android app (WIFI, not Bluetooth)

22 Jan 2018

Hello, I'm very much a beginner in mbed, having only used arduino briefly before. The documentation is a little overwhelming so I thought I'd come to the forums for some advice.

I'm making a smart home lighting project that can be controlled/monitored through an android app through the internet. I would assume the mbed would be connected through ethernet to a router.

Any ideas on where I should start or any examples? I'm not even sure if this is doable as I haven't seen any projects that involve mobile apps controlling mbed through wifi. I do not want to use bluetooth because I want it to be accessible while out of the house to monitor having left any light on accidentally before leaving and turning them off.

13 Feb 2018

Hi, I'm also new at mbed, just signed up a few minutes ago. For WiFi applications the ESP8266 is an excellent choice nowadays. It's a USD 3 uC @160MHz and has built in WiFi. Check out Ali / Ebay / China. It's also very popular among hobbyists. Loads of projects around. github is a good place to search for software (examples). hackaday is a good place for project Ideas. It's also supported by Platformio, not sure if Platformio also supports mbed for the ESP8266.