compiler environnement

28 Oct 2010

Hello,

I am facing a really slow environnement refresh.

What can be done to speed up the interface?

My internet connection is 20Mb/s ...  so no issue on this side.

I am using Firefox.

regards;

sares

01 Nov 2010

Hi Sares,

If you are experiencing high latency to the mbed website there is unfortunately not a lot we can do about it in the short term. However, you shouldn't have any problems from most locations.

Where abouts in the world are you? It would be useful to know for future plans.

Thanks,

Dan

22 Nov 2010

Hello,

I'm also experiencing high latency issues with the site. Alot of times I'm completely unable to access the compiler for about 3-5 minutes at a time. This seems to always happen right after I click compile and then hangs halfway without sending the bin. It's been very frustrating. It's hard to beleive there are no supported options for an offline toolchain.

I have a great connection through Cogeco cable, in southwestern Ontario. These problems have not been intermittent, and they have been on-going for the last few weeks since I signed up. I mainly work during the evening, late night until early the next mornings. I have had numberous problems accessing the site from work as well.

Just tried to enable betamode to see if that makes any difference at all. So far it seems okay but I won't really know until I am back at home to do any testing.

I hope this issue will be resolved, or I feel that I will be forced to setup an offline compiler toolchain to get the job done because so far it's been less than desireable using the online compiler supplied.

Thanks, Jay.

22 Nov 2010

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the report, and sorry you are having problems. I'd like to track down why you are seeing this behaviour, so can you tell us a little more about the platform you are using? In particular, what browser are you are using, and does it have any plugins? What OS, and any other "features" (e.g. OS or network firewalls/internet filters etc).

Also, when you mean latency with the site, do you mean the website as well as the compiler see the latency?

If you've had these issues for a few weeks since you signed up, it sounds like a specific problem with your setup or location. But also, your profile says it was created 6 days ago, so do you have another account you've been using too? Would be useful to know in case we want to match on any error logs.

Hopefully we can track this down!

Simon

22 Nov 2010

Simon,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I use multiple computers, running Windows XP SP3, Windows 7, and Ubuntu 10.10. All use Firefox by default, but I have tried using Internet Explorer on the Windows machines to rule out issue with Firefox. Firefox only has one addon which is AdBlock+. Internet Explorer does not have any plugins or addons, the XP machine is a brand new install. I have also accessed the compiler and site from my work connection that has internet supplied via a corperate proxy in the USA. Also experienced the same issues.

My router does not have any firewalls enabled. I have also directly connected the computers to modem to bypass router to see if that was the problem. I have no other access issues to other sites. I also tried to trace the route to mbed.org and it would timeout before completing and not return any pings. Both the site and compiler would do the same thing so it's an issue regardless of where I am on the site.

As for the registration. I have only had my mbed for 6 days, but I ordered it 3 weeks ago. Due to a problem with shipping it took longer to get than expected. Although I did not have the mbed, I had been browsing the forums since the day I ordered to learn as much as I could in the mean time. I have had consistant problems accessing the forums during that time. The problem only happens for a few moments at a time, and seems to resolve itself.

I've noticed that these issues happen more often late at night. Is there any site maintenences scheduled during certain times of the day? This issue may be related to my ISP since nobody else seems to be complaining of similar issues. It could be an issue with my ISP's DNS not resolving the domain name. I'll try using Google's public DNS servers tonight and see if that helps or even adding mbed.org to my hosts file in order to bypass DNS altogher.

I'll report more information as I do some tests on my side as well as try using another ISP.

Thank you, Jamie

23 Nov 2010

Turns out it was my ISP's DNS servers. I changed to public DNS and it now the site is much more responsive. Please disregard all my complaints regarding the site being slow and uncooperative. So far since I changed DNS I have had no problems accessing the site or compiler from home. My work connection still experiences problems, most likely due to an overloaded proxy distributing internet to way too many people.

Thank you for your help,

Jamie.

23 Nov 2010 . Edited: 23 Nov 2010

4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.3 ... 4.2.2.6 are Level3 DNS servers that also work quite well.. I don't like to use more Google than I have to :)