Network interface overview
A socket requires a NetworkInterface instance when opened to indicate which NetworkInterface the socket should be created on. The NetworkInterface provides a network stack that implements the underlying socket operations.
Network interface is also the controlling API for application to specify network configuration.
Existing network interfaces:
- Ethernet: API for connecting to the internet over an Ethernet connection.
- Wi-Fi: API for connecting to the internet with a Wi-Fi device.
- Cellular: API for connecting to the internet using a cellular device.
- Mesh networking interface: Mbed OS provides two kinds of IPv6-based mesh networks - 6LoWPAN_ND and Thread.
- Network status: API for monitoring network status changes.