Mbed Linux OS image types
MBL provides three types of images:
Evaluation image: A pre-compiled image ready to be flashed on the supported targets. It is almost the same as a Development image, except that some firmware blobs may not be pre-installed on certain platforms (due to licensing restrictions when not distributed with hardware).
Development image: You need to build this image using the build-mbl tool. It contains packages, applications, and configurations suitable for the development of a product. To generate
mbl-image-development, the DISTRO parameter is set to
Production image: You need to build this image using the build-mbl tool. This image introduces configuration options that provide additional security protection to make the image suitable for production. To generate
mbl-image-production, the DISTRO is set to
mbl-production. This work is still in progress.
Installing MBL on a new device
To install Mbed Linux OS on a new device:
- Review our list of supported development boards and set up your development environment.
- Get an MBL image. You can get a prebuilt evaluation image, or build your own development or production image.
- Write the image to the device.
- Provision the device with Pelion Device Management credentials and an API key so that it can connect to your Device Management account.
- Set up your network connection and test your Device Management connectivity.